Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

I thought Cark had to do with the city pronounciation
It eats me up when I see it

Tony Mac starting, well-deserved. Yeah, I’m definitely gonna head up.

How is Nash not getting a run recently? I would rate him above a good few of the forwards being used.

It’s a disaster that this match is on at the same time as a glamour west Junior A championship match like Croagh/Kilfinny v Stakers.

Torn between both but I might head to TEG Cusack Park.

He’s been managing an injury for a good while, limiting participation in training.

1 Like

It depends on what part of wawwford one is from

Kilteely/Dromkeen gave Cappamore a hammering in the East, Caherline had a good win over Ballybricken/Bohermore.

There’s some talk that Caherline have got their house in order and will challenge for the county this year.

A 39th minute goal for Westmeath just after conceding one of the worst points ever.

We had been doing okay up until that but 1-1 in injury time and we’re down 7. Struggling on the kickouts. Westmeath are playing all theirs short but winning them.

2 Likes

That was one we could have won, Westmeath are no great shakes. A goal 30 seconds before the break and a goal 30 seconds into the second half were crucial. Real hammer blows but they did come back… they went from 9 points down to 4 points down and had momentum but were just never able to get the second goal.

Westmeath looked good when they moved the ball quickly but tbh, we had all the momentum at the end but the goals had done enough.

Darragh Treacy went on a serious solo run for our goal, bit lucky the ball ended up in the net but it had been a great run. Jamie Lee did very well inside, won a lot of hard ball. We were probably just a bit slow moving at times; when we did move it quickly, we opened Westmeath up. It feels like one that definitely got away.

1 Like

Agreed WH only scored 2 points in the last 34 minutes of actual time we had done shocking wides from placed balls when we got it back to 4 it looked like we had a chance

Just back from TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. You get a better class of person at a Limerick football match. Was ambling up to the ticket booth about ten minutes before throw-in to hand over my €20 (saucy enough) when a kind hearted lady spotted my polo top and duly handed me over a complimentary ticket. My high ranking sources within the football panel subsequently informed me she is the mother of one of the players. What a kind hearted lady. Thank you Mrs O’Sullivan. :clap:

Had a lovely pre match pint in Canton Casey’s too but sadly that’s as good as it got overall on the day. We missed a handy early free and 45 within the first five minutes and already that had a sense of foreboding. The lack of a free taker killed us. Missed four (4) 45’s and three scoreable frees by full time. FFS.

Westmeath always looked comfortable but I wasn’t that impressed by them overall. It was 0-08 to 0-05 coming up to the short whistle and then we conceded a quick fire and diabolical 1-01. Game over. Promptly let in another one thirty seconds upon the resumption. Ball burst.

In fairness we were staring down the barrel of a shellacking but responded well. Never threw the towel on. Great run by Treacy and while fortunate with the goal he deserved some luck. He’s off to Oz later this year and will be a big loss next year in our promotion push.

Watched the match in the company of one of our WAG’s. A great looking lady but far more importantly a good, passionate GAA woman who wasn’t afraid to let a few fucks out of her when we made mistakes.

Watched the second half of the Munster final in the Grenville Arms. Chatting to a couple of Tyrone lads who stopped off there on the way home from Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, Longford. One of them was the father of current All Star Padraig Hampsey. Nice man. (It’s a niggling persistent pubic bone injury that he just can’t shake off @Cicero_Dandi - doesn’t know if he’ll be able to play later in the summer)

Long trip home but they gave it their all and you can’t ask for more. Hope Billy stays on as gaffer, there won’t be a huge queue looking to take over anyway.

We go again as All-Ireland champions next Sunday for a crack at a Munster title.

13 Likes

This also happened to me. :clap:

Had just got to the front of the queue, had asked for a ticket, €20 in the paw when a fella handed me a ticket. Very nice gesture and much appreciated.

4 Likes

Good stuff pal.

Hampsey would be a colossal loss this year. I’d imagine it will be a case of him sitting out the next few weeks and then attempting to see if he play any part from the Super 8s on if we get there. Would be a bit strange to play on to this point without surgery only to go for it with a max of 8/9 weeks left.

1 Like

This didn’t happen to me😭 should have worn my Shaws jersey from 94!

2 Likes

3 years done for the management now

West Limerick Junior A Hurling Championship
Croagh-Kilfinny 2-19, Staker Wallace 1-9 (FT)

The boys from the south struggling to handle the natural hurlers from out west.

1 Like

This is like the rugby league club World Cup of a decade ago . The English teams makeweights versus the Aussie teams and big hidings dished up .

One feels it will take the southern teams a few years to acclimatize to the intensity of WJHC

As expected. Stakers will be the also rans on that side.
Croagh have a nice young side coming through, they’ll have a good side in a few years if they can keep everyone together

Peter Harty scored 4 goals for the Well’s juniors last night against Claughaun.

They’ve a strong enough Junior team. James Carrig who started in the full back line for the Limerick minor hurlers in 2012 is their full back, Jamie Dillon who was on the Limerick minor hurling panel in 2016 is their Centre half back and he is joined in the half back line by Paudie Maher who I assume is on the Limerick u20 hurling panel this year. Darragh Aherne who was introduced as a substitute in some of Patrickswell’s senior games last year starts in the half forward line on this team. Although we won’t know how good they really are, until they play a team from the legendary West Limerick Junior A hurling championship.

1 Like