Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

I disagree. Handy out your back garden. Not so much with big kilkenny cunts trying to knock you off it.

5 Likes

If I was good enough to play in an All Ireland final I assume I’d be able to do all that stuff in any situation,
You see sone lovely flick ups in inter county hurling but Byrnes one was very straightforward

On the Byrnes one its more the improvisation which is good rather than the actual flick.

The Hegarty video above I’d say anyone who hurled past the age of 12 can do that. Cian Lynch has done it mid game a few times I’m sure.

1 Like

Sure Ogie thought it was a sublime piece of skill when Flanagan stood on the ball.

2 Likes

To be fair, while anybody can technically do what Byrnes did, I believe that winning dirty ball is probably the most underrated skill in the game. Whether you do it by a flick, a roll lift, a jab lift, with your foot or whatever; winning the ball in a crowd is not easy.

Hego’s pickup while under pressure, and with a hurley being swiped across him, was unbelievable too. His touch is unreal.

1 Like

What stage of the game was it? I’d like to see it again

Very start, first score, I think.

Or do you mean Hego’s? That was about 5 minutes.

1 Like

Dec took one out of a lot of traffic after around 55 minutes lovely skill

I wonder what percentage of ruck ball Limerick win in a match. Must be close to 70%.

Looks like the jcb broke down and is now IN THE GHETTO.

4 Likes

The games where we struggled most (Clare & Galway) I felt watching that our "rucking " was nowhere near as good as normal. It’s a key part of their game and one of the areas where Lynch excels.

3 Likes

We struggled in Ennis and against Galway.

Generally, we have a few players who are very good at it- Lynch, Kyle, Hannon, Finn, both Morrisseys are all excellent at it. WOD & DOD are very useful in that area too, although they often allow a teammate to win it.

Was clear sitting sideline level that Galway definitely seemed to come out with a lot more of the mucky ball than we did.

That wasn’t the point at all before you and all the Tippos lashed out. He’s the golden boy now where a few months ago people wanted him put out of the game :person_shrugging:t2:

It was better than I remembered to be fair, he dropped an easy hand pass and made up for it, instinctive but good

Still and all he wasn’t challenged for it, nobody was hanging off him

It’s not the skill itself, it’s the speed and clarity of thought, and the composure to then not fumble it, that is impressive. Hannon dropping the hurl and catching the ball was impressive for the same reason, but it must be embarrassing for Lyons how the Kilkenny players around him could immediately see that it was a foul but he couldn’t.

Funnily enough I didn’t think Kilkenny really tested us like Clare did.

Kilkenny were able to deal with our physicality better than most sides and they’ve a couple of big units themselves and they were dogged tbf. I thought If we’d gotten a second goal before half time we’d have hammered them but they stuck at it.

As has been pointed out clare were seriously alive our short side line cuts and things like batting the ball when challenging hayes and hegarty.

I think that’s a poor reflection on Kks coaching set up.

Even Galway might have lacked a bit of believe and a couple of forwards but their keepers puck outs were sensational.

The real skill being ignored is John Kiely’s vision… Knowing full well below in Ennis that we’d meet Lyons again down the road and setting down a marker. Kiely won us the All Ireland that day…

5 Likes

Enjoy yere 11th All Ireland senior hurling title,Mike.
Arent ye great lads altogether😁

1 Like

Apologies pal, was responding to the initial clip. I’d echo other comments - his progression and ability to peak in finals is phenomenal.