Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

I see some Limerick fans singing the anti-IRA song Zombie and others singing Sean South. Is the best hope for the chasing pack a major cultural split within Limerick hurling?

10 Likes

Denise Chaila needs to come up with a unifying anthem.

6 Likes

Doesn’t she alrey have a song about Limerick, the 061 or something?

1 Like

Not inclusive of those with an 069 area code.

9 Likes

Where’s 069?

069 scum can fuck off

3 Likes

Limerick you’re a lady can’t be far behind on the shitlist.
Limerick you’re a person. Perhaps

Or the more accurate, Limerick you’re a county

3 Likes

I’m surprised the manosphere haven’t yet come for it.

Too woke.

NCW massive.

Never knew that before, one for the things I learned today thread.

Clare is 061 in parts too so Denise is trying to sit across two stools

Does it matter. He is celebrated for leading the fight for a united ireland.

Seán South clearly was an unsavoury character, in many terms, and I would not personally sing that song. But there is a distinction to be made between the song and the person who was a member of fringe right wing/fascist groups such as Maria Duce and Ailtirí na hAiséirghe. This song makes no reference whatsoever to those activities and therefore could not reasonably be taken as an endorsement of fascism. The post Treaty IRA was a fairly large house, with regard to the political spectrum, including Saor Éire and Peadar O’Donnell as well as Seán South and his crew. An obsession with Communism and secularism was widespread in Ireland, as per Michael Tierney’s writings. And MT turned out mainstream – Fine Gael mode.

Many people understandably object to a song that praises an IRA attack in 1957 on a barracks in County Fermanagh. Those objections are reasonable, from a variety of perspectives. The whole question of IRA legitimacy in broader terms is not one into which I am going to delve.

Condemn ‘Seán South From Garryowen’ by all means. Condemn away. But to equate this song, whatever its demerits, with vile sectarian bilge about the murder of a woman is inane, stupid, devoid of judgement, and attention seeking of a pathological order.

There are closely documented links, going back decades, between Loyalism and the British Far Right. To focus on the unsavoury Seán South so as to obscure this reality is the sort of partitionist Stickie revisionism so cherished in certain Irish circles. The song, which is awful, references Tone in standard mawkish fashion. You can object to this song in lots of ways and from lots of angles but there is no credibility in saying the song is as bad as sectarianism-soaked glee about a woman’s murder simply because that woman was a Roman Catholic.

17 Likes

I get all that and agree with what you’re saying. What I’d asked of the other poster was does he see no distinction between that and the singing about Michaela Harte which I think is a far far more vindictive and personal attack.

Yes it does matter that he was a fascist and the glorification of his going out to murder also matters.

There’s the 063 also

Are Ukrainian soldiers not murdering their Russian counterparts?

1 Like

I’m learning loads of things today.

1 Like

I don’t see a meaningful distinction. Both are grubby little glorifications and belittling of the murder/attempted murder of themmuns.

Any attempted justification of either, no matter how eloquent, is ultimately gibberish and an attempt to defend the indefensible.

Similar justifications for the flying of the confederate flag by some Cork supporters were given.

At the heart of this is a deluded belief that somehow “we’re better than them”. Mealy mouthed justifications for flying confederate flags, naming clubs after INLA men and propagandists for chattel slavery, and singing about fascist terrorists shows that to be so much nonsense.

Thanks.

Well, I have said what I think. Stickie type revisionism, which pivots on trying to establish various kinds of equivalence, is inane.

Peter Hart trying to argue the IRA in Cork during the 1910s and 1920s was sectarian is merely a more ‘sophisticated’ version of this craic.

2 Likes