Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

Nicky is the first I remember doing it

3 Likes

Its a strange one alright.Balancing the ball is a massive advantage when taking a free as opposed to what we had to do back in the day.
You would nearly start a riot if you tried that when I was playing and be told in no uncertain to cop the fuck on.

Youre right on that.I was sure it was Carey but more that happy to give that to a Tipp fella.

Pauric Mahony must be one of the few lads left who roll lifts his frees? @Malarkey this is one for you.

Shout

Nicky English was thd first I remember .
Nash didnt let it rest on his bas. Just threw it up and forward so far he moved it forward 10 yards. Eddie Keher also moved it forward but did it more elegantly so it wasnt as pronounced

Nicky English :thinking:

I vaguely remember the school of thought was that a roll lift was more accurate and the jab lift was only for power on penalties or distance.
That was pre being allowed to rest the jab lift on the hurley for a second which obviously increased the accuracy.
We must remember that you were jab lifting with a bas probably half the size of today leading to more missed lifts and also a tiny sweet spot for striking. Also a heavier and possibly rain soaked sliothar.

I’ve put some thought of late into how to reduce the scoring from all over the field but I fear that suggestions such as reducing the bas or increasing the weight of the sliothar would actualy be counter productive in encouraging more defensive setups as the ball not travelling as far would mean teams can sit deeper as scores cannot be gotten from range. I think the solution could possibly be to ban quick puckouts giving the defending team more time to set thereby removing the quick puckout to a man in space to launch it from 100 yards. I would be interested in an analysis of all puckouts after a score where the keeper has to wait vs those from a wide to see whether it has any effect on the speed of the next shot being hit. Intuiatively I would expect it does. But maybe it wouldn’t at all

1 Like

We need more defensive hurling.

Its farcical for a team to score 2-26 in an All Ireland Final and loses.

Club senior match in Tipperary tonight finished 2-30 to 2-19 in a 60 minute match. Kilmacud scored 1-40 in a County League match during the year.

Where will it end? Its just becoming a game of counting.

7 Likes

I’m not sure why teams in hurling even play with any forwards close to goal these days. The game seems ripe for a McGuinness type tactical innovation of leaving all attacking players outside the 45 at least and possibly the 65. You can score from pretty much anywhere nowadays and the risk/reward calculation of driving the ball in to a full forward line seems heavily weighted against.

It would leave the defending team with a dilemma as well. If an attacking team keeps all players outside 65 do you follow them out, or leave them with players free to manufacture a point scoring chance? Following them out leaves space for a simple pop pass over the top to a runner and you’re in on goal.

Derek McGrath tried a variation of that with Waterford.

The Jamie Barron goal in the 2017 semi final where he ran through from midfield would be a classic goal of the genre you describe.

Yeah but he didn’t go full on with it. I’d love to see somebody with the balls to go full on “we’re not putting any players beyond 65 and to hell with what anybody says”.

There was a moment in the Dublin-Donegal semi-final in 2011 where Donegal had the ball and just resolutely refused to come forward despite the loud booing coming from the crowd. You had to admire the sheer "we don’t give a fuck"ness of it.

I think because the ball travels quicker and further, hurling is actually more suited to a full on fuck you tactic like this. It would be McGuinnessism, but mainly on the attacking side of the game rather than the defensive side.

Then Byrnes comes back to the 45 for a ball. Pucks it over the bar and waves at the 15 lads in no mans land.

The ball can travel too far in hurling to go for a full on Ulster football defence.

5 Likes

You aren’t going to be pucking too many balls over from your own 45. 65 is a different story.

A heap of players currently playing would hit uncontested points from their own 45 all day long. Every intercounty goalie would too handily

Do you need a calculator?

1 Like

Hes from tipp i think so the fingers & toes should do

1 Like

Tipp don’t have much experience in addition though. Baffled by the concept of adding one to one to get two.

1 Like

Im sure you could find a balance lf you did increase it…it doesn’t have to go to the extreme.

Because it creates space and gives the team the tactic of going long at different times.

The system you describe above is not sustainable. It places too much physical emphasis on players and ultimately will lead to injuries, burnout and a loss of players.

1 Like