Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

I think gillane probably is unmarkable in many ways as he has defenders up shits creek with his ability to win the ball from behind in the air. I think defenders are nearly standing him off to ensure he isn’t turning inside anymore and just happy to let him shoot. Obviously he can have an off day but I think it’s unlikely. Any sort of man back or sweeper is a disaster v Limerick as Limerick are too good at passing it about to find a free man who’ll pick gillane out.

I think you have to go man v man and not allow players have time on the ball striking it into him. That’s the only way you’ll keep him quiet. Disrupt the ball in. It takes huge energy and discipline.

Reid at 6 has gotten a lot of credit for Kilkenny but he’s a bit of a poor man’s Declan hannon from what I can see and I can see Kyler absolutely rinsing him tbh. He had so much time on the ball v Clare it was woeful from Lohan. Like it’s one thing finding a free back after working it around Reid was nearly always free and had time.

If kyle can shut down Reid I think it goes a long way to winning the game for Limerick.

1 Like

Ye will have it won by half time.

1 Like

They’ll have it won Saturday night even before the Up for the Match wheeze……
All these big clashes are won the night before on the internet .

2 Likes

Not with elder statesmen like @Locke and @Balbec keeping their troops in check on the private groups.

1 Like

Locke’ll be drinking for the week after the feats of the peiladóirí today.

3 Likes

Our all-Ireland was won today, anything after that is just window dressing

9 Likes

Shur you couldn’t in all seriousness expect to win an AI with Richie Reid at CB?

3 Likes

Paul Murphy knew

An All Ireland this year would be Cody’s greatest ever achievement

1 Like

Fixed for you

Greatest dream.

The Limericks are the “ Untouchables “ / “ Unbeatable’s “ of our generation.

Kilkenny, have no doubts will give them a game. But

It’ll be similar to Kilkenny’s march to 4 titles. Will Limerick have Kilkenny done and dusted early on in a manner that Kilkenny did to them in 07 or Waterford in 08, or will it be more like Kilkenny v Tipp in 09, with the reigning champions getting it done at the end?

1 Like

Between 07’, 14’ and 19’, Limerick really owe them one. FWIW, Limerick were 1/2 to win the AI in January. They are currently the same price to win in 70 minutes on Sunday.

As mentioned above, Kyle Hayes is going to be a huge problem for Richie Reid physically, could see Peter Casey being involved but Cian Lynch not.

1 Like

Tipp had the natural forwards to push KK in 09, not sure KK have the same to push Limerick. Limerick just need to keep the discipline and not hand TJ 5 or 6 frees.

1 Like

Taking your chances in big games is key.

Tipp fudged every chance in 09.

Kilkenny made everything count in the AISF. Can they replicate anywhere close to that efficiency again in the final?

In saying that, I think KK will ask far more questions in all departments than Galway did so Limerick need to find another bit too in the Final imo. They do have far more scope to improve I think.

It’s an intriguing game.

1 Like

Really looking forward to it now. So mamy interesting subplots too.

The difference between being remembered as a very good and dominant team in a poor era, or a great team. Magic.

Agreed.

If KK can replicate Tipperary’s movement in the opening half of last years Munster Final and have the legs to back it up over 70mins then it’s possible.

Limerick like all teams don’t like manic in your face pressure which Clare seem naturally able to produce against them for example.
It upsets them but unlike all the pretenders, they can absorb it and just plough on and grind you down.

If KK can get a few goals and more importantly not concede them then……

It has the makings of a competitive final unlike previous 2 finals.

1 Like

Limerick don’t seem to be moving as well as in previous years. Obviously the absences of Lynch and Casey is a factor but they’ve also been without Hayes and Flanagan at various points in the Munster campaign. What should concern Limerick fans most about the semi, is the amount of posession Galway went through once Cathal Mannion came out to the middle of the park. Often the first receiver came under no pressure and had time to look up and pick out a pass. They shot from distance nearly every time, if they had their radar on then Limerick would have been bate. It also explains why Conor Whelan was relatively quiet as the Galway full line just didn’t have enough ball sent into them. Most of what was sent in, Casey/Finn/Nash gobbled up. I don’t expect Kilkenny’s shooting to be as poor as Galway’s. Give them that amount of possession and Limerick are in serious trouble.

On the flip side, I feel Kilkenny were made to look much better than they are by a Clare side who clearly hadn’t got over the Munster final defeat by the time the semi came around. They fell over the line against Wexford and made very poor decisions on the day against KK. In the first half in particular, the amount of hail mary 50/50 balls sent into the Clare full line was bizarre. Lawlor and Co gobbled them up nearly every time. Playing through the lines seemed to be foreign to them, as they wasted so much possession through poor shooting and lumping aimless balls in on top of Duggan. Now Kilkenny’s workrate certainly served them well, but Limerick won’t play the same braindead tactics that Clare did.

This game really is 50/50. Kilkenny have more momentum and will relish taking on Limerick. The current champions have previously saved their best performance for the final in every year they have reached it under John Kiely. 3 in a row is great motivation but so is knocking Limerick off their perch for this KK team.

I’m going with a draw.

4 Likes

What a cop out.