Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

I didn’t have you down as a Limerick.

Ah never mind actually, you were referring to the Clare v Kilkenny game.

1 Like

“When you get on top of Limerick, you need to choke the life out of them. When you get their head under the water, keep it down there, and make sure all the bubbles are gone.”

:flushed:

Good man Fast Eddie! Spent too much time In Laois

Not Eddie

Shit short story mate.

Jackie Tyrell came out with that line a few years back after a Waterford Clare round robin game in Walsh Park.

Actually yeah, it was Jackie Tyrell who said that. On the radio on Saturday before the Clare game.

Think it was a good while after he called them the fifth best team in the country!

Fuck it its great to have garnered that level of respect.

Any thought on this being an issue with the prestigious Munster hurling championship? Its free flowing and high scoring. I made a point during the Munster Final for Tony Kellys wonder point. Solos up the field at pace and hits a super point. From the resultant puck out, it went straight to a Limerick man in about 40 yards of space around the sideline at the opposite side near the 65, and he hits it over with little fuss. A point a piece, but that for me was symptomatic of Munster hurling. Puck out, free man, score. There is little defending and bottling up. Look at a lot of the great points or goals over the years and what is the common denominator in them? Often its a Munster team on the receiving end, where the defenders have gone AWOL.

And the oft criticised Leinster with its low scoring and boring hurling. But its far more physical and less of a shooting competition. Wexford dont score much, and its a criticism of them. But they arent conceding much either and people often say that teams have had a bad day against them or that they could have got more if they played better. But their comes a point where it ahs to be recognised that maybe they arent letting the teams play. They showed Kilkenny a template against Clare, but Kilkenny actually did it to the full and got the big win.

And maybe that is over analysis or simplification of it all, but I just wonder if the free flowing nature of the Munster games, as entertaining as it is, doesnt allow for the physical nature of coming up against Galway or Kilkenny.

All the talk of Kilkenny and @thelimericks now playing the poor me card, Kilkenny were beaten by Galway and Wexford in the league phase and needed results to go their way to get through. Granted, they have upped it since then in their following 2 games, but Limerick are clear strong favourites.

12 Likes

That’s it exactly. Kilkenny will be looking to use their superior physicality to bludgeon Limerick into submission, make it a low scoring dogfight and basically drag Limerick’s superior hurlers down to Kilkenny’s level.

3 Likes

With the notable exception of Cork, every team Limerick have faced have had their best performance of the year against Limerick. There’s too much tape on Limerick. Found out.

1 Like

You are very needy pal, I always seem to read your posts in my mind with a whingy Wexford accent.

The robots around the middle have been figured out.

Galway showed that if you front up to those big bullies in the middle third, their skill level is limited enough.

I’d say Kilkenny will beat them out the gate in the final.

1 Like

Ref for this?

Horgan has reffed the last two so can’t see him getting the nod again. Plus he did the first semi.

John Keenan has been in cold storage since the Munster final and is probably favourite. Paud Dwyer probably next in line.

The Big House will sit down and discuss once the golf is out of the way.

1 Like

Keenan favourite? I didn’t think his laissez-faire attitude was well received by authorities and he missed a number of red cards, I’d be surprised if he got it after that.

I would expect Paud.

Yeah, the reports were that he was rapped on the knuckles for missing those two Clare red cards but I think that would be harsh. Both incidents happened while the ball was in play, he couldn’t follow everything. Plus he got zero help from his umpires.

Aren’t his umpires his responsibility or how does that work? If so then the team he brought is a reflection on him.

1 Like