Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

Having never experienced the celebrations myself, what’s the approach when your county wins the all-Ireland? Stay up in Dublin and party on the Sunday night and try to sneak in to the team hotel? Then back to localised celebrations on Monday in the county town? I’d imagine there was a slight disconnect last night with some Limericks celebrating in the capital and others out revelling in Limerick City. The apparent difficulty in acquiring accommodation in Dublin surely heightened this.

Darragh O’Donovan’s tackling in the first half was ferocious.

1 Like

You know you’ve had a good night when you can’t remember a thing about it or better still if married you can’t remember a thing about it and wonder why the wife hasn’t spoken to you all day

1 Like

I’ve never enjoyed pints after Tipp won any All-Ireland. Too busy minding myself. Now that we are such a low ebb it’s something I will change in 2029 when we return to win our next one.

A lot of lads would go to Dublin and the host of Tipp pubs on Saturday. Big Tree and the Hogan stand pre game. Back to Tipp on Sunday. Not many Tipp supporters would do the Monday but again by the time 2029 comes around we probably will.

Mondays are generally reserved for club victories in the Premier county, most Limerick fans would not understand that having never attended a club game.

3 Likes

In 2008 I got a ticket to the team banquet through the Supporters Club. There was some goof up in the Supporters Club and the President Of the Supporters Club was left without a ticket to the banquet. Realising that I was a sound type of chap the club contacted me and asked would I ever mind letting the President have my ticket. I did the right thing and arranged to meet up with him the Friday before the match and gave him my ticket to the banquet.

By God was I ever glad I did that, the way the day went.

As an aside the Limerick lads on the telly last night seemed to be wearing green wristbands which I’m sure is how security could tell who should be in the hotel.

2 Likes

That was a good one to miss.

You’d have been better off sitting on your own in the front room that attending that on that occasion.

There were some Wexford hurlers at the Tipp homecoming in 2019 surprisingly enough. I remember the Galway hurlers arriving in to Icon on a midweek night after their 2017 success. Little did they know they were entering into enemy territory then for the following year.

1 Like

Hurling snobs,

How good is Gearoid Hegarty in the overall scheme of things? His goal yesterday was off the charts for an All Ireland final and in general play he looked like it was too easy for him.

Physically a monster as well with lads bouncing off him.

4 Likes

Gillane mentioned last night that 8 or 9 of the m are were together since U-14.

That’s some stat. Would the likes of Hegarty, Lynch and Hayes be in that group?

He’s unusual in that he would never have looked or seemed the most natural hurler. He seems to have put in incredible work to improve his striking and ball skills.

1 Like

He didn’t make the Limerick minors starting team. He was probably lost as a possible intercounty hurler until Kiely plumped for him as a wing back on the u-21 team in 2015. Even then he was incredibly raw.

Not sure where he stands in the conversation of best players of the last decade but MOTM in two AI finals is fairly unique. 3-14 from play in 3 AI finals.

Just a combination of things have got him where he is today. Great coaching and management, phenomenal dedication and hard work from the lad himself in an effort to improve himself and, above all, a good dose of old fashioned luck.

6 Likes

The point he got in the first half under the Hogan from Quaid’s puck out was majestic. Stroked it over from that distance.

1 Like

Tom Morrisseys point in front of the hogan in the second half was a thing of beauty. Hard ball towards him arm fully stretched and caught it. Turned and over the shoulder.

4 Likes

I thought he was playing very well and yet was subbed.

He is a freak (in the best sense). Huge frame, athletic prowess and sublime skill. I can’t think of a comparable player.

2 Likes

Hayes is 4 or 5 years younger than him

1 Like

Some hurler too - fuck me.

Seamus hickey was talking about him on off the ball and the work he put in on his striking. He also said he brought skills from football combined with his athleticism, making 60 yard runs to get into space and hickey saying he was looking at him at the start wondering what he was at at all, but now he has practically perfected finding space.

1 Like

I thought he was quite in the first half but in reality he was overshadowed by hego. He pinged shots in the second half that werent going for him earlier in the season. In fairness some of those guys were out on their feet at 55 mins. I assume his tank was empty