Liverpool FC 2014/15

You ok Hun?

No. I saw that at a different time.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1065089, member: 24”]True.

But that is always the problem when commenting on best players of all time. You tend to focus on the more recent ones as they are the ones you can properly comment on.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. But Dalglish has obviously won much more than Gerrard, was widely regarded as the best player in the most successful Liverpool team, scored at least one wining goal in a European Cup final and had much more domestic success obviously.

I think Liverpool supporters are oddly attracted to Liverpudlian players and talk them up too much. Hence the hysteria around Fowler who achieved nothing in his career, and the adoration of Gerrard who was obviously an excellent player but if it wasn’t for Suarez dragging them up the table last season (and ultimately with no reward), Gerrard’s last 5 seasons at Liverpool would be incredibly underwhelming. That’s a large chunk of Gerrard’s career.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 1065097, member: 1”]Agreed. But Dalglish has obviously won much more than Gerrard, was widely regarded as the best player in the most successful Liverpool team, scored at least one wining goal in a European Cup final and had much more domestic success obviously.

I think Liverpool supporters are oddly attracted to Liverpudlian players and talk them up too much. Hence the hysteria around Fowler who achieved nothing in his career, and the adoration of Gerrard who was obviously an excellent player but if it wasn’t for Suarez dragging them up the table last season (and ultimately with no reward), Gerrard’s last 5 seasons at Liverpool would be incredibly underwhelming. That’s a large chunk of Gerrard’s career.[/QUOTE]

In fairness that isn’t just a Liverpool phenomenon, supporters of any given team will always big up the local lad who came through the ranks and possibly overstate their ability.

That would explain why Billy Sheehan never gets the respect he deserves.

Just watched a brief highlight reel of the match back there, Shevchenko and Crespo also had efforts hooked off the line. It was the biggest fluke I have ever seen in my time watching football. Milan would have been well worth a five goal victory in that final. Gerrard is credited as a hero by virtue of scoring a header that Dida misjudged and thought was going wide and left it and then diving for a penalty.

The best player on that pitch by a country mile was Kaka, he was just perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfkhDcDnU-U

It’s more a Liverpool phenomenon among Irish supporters of Liverpool though. Carragher and Gerrard and Fowler were all held up to be the epitome of something that really means nothing. You don’t hear United fans waffling on about Scholes to the same extent. He gets a lot of unwarranted praise but then so does Cantona etc. But you meet Irish people who will talk all misty eyed about Robbie Fowler like he was a meaningful contributor to them. It’s part of that whole “bootroom” nonsense that they seem to embrace more than other clubs.

souness was the best british midfielder of the last 30 years
dalglish was better than gerrard too

You seem to be forgetting that Paul Scholes was/is a thoroughly unlikable prick though

[QUOTE=“The Selfish Giant, post: 1065110, member: 80”]souness was the best british midfielder of the last 30 years
dalglish was better than gerrard too[/QUOTE]

Good point mate

:eek:

Liverpool Football Club is about a people and a cause, mate.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 1065097, member: 1”]Agreed. But Dalglish has obviously won much more than Gerrard, was widely regarded as the best player in the most successful Liverpool team, scored at least one wining goal in a European Cup final and had much more domestic success obviously.

I think Liverpool supporters are oddly attracted to Liverpudlian players and talk them up too much. Hence the hysteria around Fowler who achieved nothing in his career, and the adoration of Gerrard who was obviously an excellent player but if it wasn’t for Suarez dragging them up the table last season (and ultimately with no reward), Gerrard’s last 5 seasons at Liverpool would be incredibly underwhelming. That’s a large chunk of Gerrard’s career.[/QUOTE]

That’s harsh on the rest of the team last season. Gerrard scored some vital goals against Sunderland at home, Norwich away and United away from memory. Sturridge was also excellent as well as his scoring record shows.

Gerrard was absolutely superb in the 2009 season as well. He has sustained a consistent level of performance over a long period of time, sometimes carrying the team on his back.

Even this season he steps up when required against Basle with a scorcher of a free kick and nearly drags them through yet again.

Like I said I can’t remember Dalglish’s time but it appears he was surrounded by a much better team.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1065119, member: 24”]That’s harsh on the rest of the team last season. Gerrard scored some vital goals against Sunderland at home, Norwich away and United away from memory. Sturridge was also excellent as well as his scoring record shows.

Gerrard was absolutely superb in the 2009 season as well. He has sustained a consistent level of performance over a long period of time, sometimes carrying the team on his back.

Even this season he steps up when required against Basle with a scorcher of a free kick and nearly drags them through yet again.

Like I said I can’t remember Dalglish’s time but it appears he was surrounded by a much better team.[/QUOTE]
But the point I’m making is that Gerrard was clearly not the best player last season. When he was surrounded by better players (i.e. better than him) then his team came close to competing for a league title. When he didn’t have anyone better than him, then his Liverpool team were consistently mediocre over the majority of his career.

I know it’s an isolated reference but a scorching free kick in a match that Liverpool drew which they needed to win against a Swiss team in the group stages of the Champions league on a night that ended with Liverpool being knocked out of the competition… well that sort of sums it up a bit.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 1065125, member: 1”]But the point I’m making is that Gerrard was clearly not the best player last season. When he was surrounded by better players (i.e. better than him) then his team came close to competing for a league title. When he didn’t have anyone better than him, then his Liverpool team were consistently mediocre over the majority of his career.

I know it’s an isolated reference but a scorching free kick in a match that Liverpool drew which they needed to win against a Swiss team in the group stages of the Champions league on a night that ended with Liverpool being knocked out of the competition… well that sort of sums it up a bit.[/QUOTE]

But that’s not Gerrard’s fault though.

The bootroom ‘nonsense’ you refer to was in place when Liverpool won 18 leagues and 4 European Cups.

That is part of why I supported Liverpool and cannot be completely dismissed like that.

I always wonder though why Dalglish holds god like status in Liverpool. He left due to ‘stress’ then took on the Blackburn job within a short period of time. One could argue that this was also a stressful job given the money he had to spend. Then he went to Newcastle, a clear rival at the time.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1065137, member: 24”]The bootroom ‘nonsense’ you refer to was in place when Liverpool won 18 leagues and 4 European Cups.

That is part of why I supported Liverpool and cannot be completely dismissed like that.

I always wonder though why Dalglish holds god like status in Liverpool. He left due to ‘stress’ then took on the Blackburn job within a short period of time. One could argue that this was also a stressful job given the money he had to spend. Then he went to Newcastle, a clear rival at the time.[/QUOTE]

And Gerrard tried to force a move to one of your main rivals. Now he’s going chasing a payday in the sun, rather than stay on for another season.

Gerrard was/is a top player. His versatility and athleticism made him the player he is\was but it also hampered him as he never settled in one position. He scored some incredibly important goals and dragged the team through games over the years. He is a Liverpool legend. End.

He didn’t leave though did he?