Liverpool FC 2014/15

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1065137, member: 24”]The bootroom ‘nonsense’ you refer to was in place when Liverpool won 18 leagues and 4 European Cups.

That is part of why I supported Liverpool and cannot be completely dismissed like that.

I always wonder though why Dalglish holds god like status in Liverpool. He left due to ‘stress’ then took on the Blackburn job within a short period of time. One could argue that this was also a stressful job given the money he had to spend. Then he went to Newcastle, a clear rival at the time.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? The ‘stress’ was largely hillsborough related and he’s on record as saying he just wanted a break and was surprised by how quickly liverpool moved on as he had already suggested he might reconsider. Do you think he is some sort of liar and was making it up for some nefarious reason?

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1065137, member: 24”]The bootroom ‘nonsense’ you refer to was in place when Liverpool won 18 leagues and 4 European Cups.

That is part of why I supported Liverpool and cannot be completely dismissed like that.

I always wonder though why Dalglish holds god like status in Liverpool. He left due to ‘stress’ then took on the Blackburn job within a short period of time. One could argue that this was also a stressful job given the money he had to spend. Then he went to Newcastle, a clear rival at the time.[/QUOTE]
You decided to support Liverpool because of the bootroom? Odd choice for a 6 year old.

Anyway, I’m not dismissing it. I’m saying that’s why native players are overrated by Liverpool supporters.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1065119, member: 24”]That’s harsh on the rest of the team last season. Gerrard scored some vital goals against Sunderland at home, Norwich away and United away from memory. Sturridge was also excellent as well as his scoring record shows.

Gerrard was absolutely superb in the 2009 season as well. He has sustained a consistent level of performance over a long period of time, sometimes carrying the team on his back.

Even this season he steps up when required against Basle with a scorcher of a free kick and nearly drags them through yet again.

Like I said I can’t remember Dalglish’s time but it appears he was surrounded by a much better team.[/QUOTE]
I was in Glasgow when larsson was in his pomp, and moravcek arrived. Many of the older Celtic fans still thought that kenny dalgleish was the best player that ever played for Celtic.
Personally I can’t stand the miserable Scottish fucker.

[QUOTE=“The Selfish Giant, post: 1065110, member: 80”]souness was the best british midfielder of the last 30 years
dalglish was better than gerrard too[/QUOTE]

Forty years bud. Sounness finished with Liverpool 31 years ago.

I would be surprised if Liverpool would have wanted to move on given his previously success and his attachment to the club. There are two sides to every story but the God like stature he is held in amongst Liverpool fans still is pretty remarkable.

Very good article on Gerrard by ken earley.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/13/steven-gerrard-liverpool?CMP=share_btn_tw

[QUOTE=“Tabby, post: 1065160, member: 2142”]Very good article on Gerrard by ken earley.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/13/steven-gerrard-liverpool?CMP=share_btn_tw[/QUOTE]

Think it was written in the middle of last season but the bit about his mental frailty of trying to do too much was illustrated perfectly in the Chelsea game after the famous slip.

But you dismiss his stress as a reason for leaving and feel he was disingenuous?

Also Liverpool have a history of moving on. Wasn’t Shankly told not to come knocking around the club anymore?

Gerrard was a player for the big occasion. His goal in FA Cup
Final against West Ham when he could barely move for cramp, champions league final goal, Uefa Cup goal, Olympiakos goal, league cup final v United.

He tended to turn up when it mattered and dragged an often mediocre team back into contention.

Daglish was better in my opinion but played in a much better team. Barnes never gets credit he deserves either. The Liverpool team of 87-90 would have won a European Cup or come very close. Barnes was main part of that team

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1065168, member: 2272”]Gerrard was a player for the big occasion. His goal in FA Cup
Final against West Ham when he could barely move for cramp, champions league final goal, Uefa Cup goal, Olympiakos goal, league cup final v United.

He tended to turn up when it mattered and dragged an often mediocre team back into contention.

Daglish was better in my opinion but played in a much better team. Barnes never gets credit he deserves either. The Liverpool team of 87-90 would have won a European Cup or come very close. Barnes was main part of that team[/QUOTE]
Barnes was my hero as a nipper. Unreal.

Was that cause you are both black?

Yes. When I played for Moyross opposing fans used to throw bananas at me also.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1065168, member: 2272”]Gerrard was a player for the big occasion. His goal in FA Cup

Daglish was better in my opinion but played in a much better team. Barnes never gets credit he deserves either. The Liverpool team of 87-90 would have won a European Cup or come very close. Barnes was main part of that team[/QUOTE]
Barnes was excellent alright.

That Liverpool team wouldn’t have been the Milan team from that era though.

Plus, please don’t include League Cup Final and FA Cup Finals in lists of big occasions.

[QUOTE=“flattythehurdler, post: 1065157, member: 1170”]I was in Glasgow when larsson was in his pomp, and moravcek arrived. Many of the older Celtic fans still thought that kenny dalgleish was the best player that ever played for Celtic.
Personally I can’t stand the miserable Scottish fucker.[/QUOTE]

It sickened me to my very core when @farmerinthecity was touted Daglish for the Ireland job back in 2008

[QUOTE=“Juhniallio, post: 1065164, member: 53”]But you dismiss his stress as a reason for leaving and feel he was disingenuous?

Also Liverpool have a history of moving on. Wasn’t Shankly told not to come knocking around the club anymore?[/QUOTE]

I wasn’t dismissing the stress. I was more calling into question his move to Blackburn afterwards given his reason for leaving so in that way I suppose I feel he may have been disingenuous.

Yeah - you’re right on Shankly. I don’t see anything wrong with telling a departed manager to stop hanging around training sessions.

Dalglish mate.

It was a new low for TFK

I imagine a hypothetical combined Liverpool - AC Milan team team circa 1989 would have lined up something like as follows:

Grobbelaar
Nicol - Baresi - Hansen - Maldini
Houghton - Whelan - Barnes
Gullit
Rush - van Basten

6 Liverpool 5 AC Milan

Subs: Aldridge, Beardsley, McMahon, Costacurta, Ablett (4 Liverpool, 1 AC Milan)

[QUOTE=“flattythehurdler, post: 1065157, member: 1170”]I was in Glasgow when larsson was in his pomp, and moravcek arrived. Many of the older Celtic fans still thought that kenny dalgleish was the best player that ever played for Celtic.
Personally I can’t stand the miserable Scottish fucker.[/QUOTE]

Did you live in Glasgow flatty?

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1065176, member: 24”]I wasn’t dismissing the stress. I was more calling into question his move to Blackburn afterwards given his reason for leaving so in that way I suppose I feel he may have been disingenuous.

[/QUOTE]

But he had to do something with the rest of his life.