Liverpool FC 2021/22

You’re worse replying to that idiot.

2 Likes

Heysel
On May 29th 1985, 39 people died in the Heysel Stadium after Liverpool fans charged at a wall which collapsed. The stadium wasn’t fit to host a game of this magnitude, the European Cup final between Juventus and Liverpool, and Liverpool fans used this as their excuse. It wasn’t their fault that those fans died, it was the fault of the stadium.

Tony Evans at The Times , a Liverpool supporter who was at Heysel, touched on the denial more recently in his article “Our Day Of Shame”.

[Many Everton fans] feel that in some way they are the real victims of that dreadful day because their title-winning team could not play in the European Cup the next season. It taunted Liverpool supporters, some of whom still feel that they had nothing to do with the deaths of 39 people on that May night nearly 20 years ago. “A wall collapsed, that was all.” I have said it and heard it countless times. Except it is a lie.

Evans claimed that many Liverpool fans were still angry after attacks by Roma fans when they played in a victorious European Cup final the year before.

After the game, Rome erupted in rage, and the bloody events around the Olympic Stadium left everyone who was there — and those who had only heard talk of what happened — determined not to suffer again at the hands of Italian ultras. “The Italians won’t do that to us again,” was a refrain repeated in the weeks since the semi-final. It was not a matter of revenge. It was a wariness, a fear that built itself up to an enormous rage that would spill out at the slightest perceived provocation. The anger was palpable.

In conclusion, again discussing Liverpool’s attempt to relieve themselves of any blame, Evans concedes that they were at fault.

We limped home, quickly throwing off any shame, repeating the mantra that it was a construction problem, just a wall collapsing, hiding from the scale of what had happened . The disaster has a long causal chain — stabbings and beatings in Rome, hair-trigger tempers, aggression on both sides, excessive drinking, poor policing and a stadium ripe for disaster. Remove any one link and the game may have passed off peacefully. But it didn’t. So, Evertonians sing, with pathetic self-pity, “Thirty-nine Italians can’t be wrong.” Well they weren’t. We were. I was.

It wasn’t just the fans who denied they were at fault though. The official line from the club, as voiced by the chairman at the time, John Smith, was that Chelsea fans in the crowd were the cause of the deaths, not Liverpool fans. On the 19th anniversary of Heysel, Red and White Kop published some accounts of fans who at the game.

“Some lads had newspapers, they did not make nice reading. Painted as the scum of the earth by everybody who had anything to say, there was no real understanding of what had gone on, I don’t think there is to this day. John Smith had told reporters that he believed the trouble to be the fault of ‘Chelsea fans’ – it was nonsense, clutching at straws. There had been fans of other clubs there, there always is in major cup finals, but not in any significant numbers.”

Always the victim, it’s never your fault.

I didnt defend either.

I merely commented on the bizarre nature of Liverpool fans booing the future hrad of the Church.

It’d be like Celtic fans booing the Pope.

2 Likes

I always find it jars that Liverpool FC place the Hillsborough disaster front and centre, yet seem happy to by and large keep the Heysel disaster in the back of the cupboard, to be brought out only an odd time when it suits.
Both horrible and horrific.
Nowt to do with klopp who is the epitome of a great man, but whilst both are part the club fabric, only one is repeatedly the headline.

Yes, i recall Carragher i think saying how the tragedy of Hillsborough shaped the club today but surely the tragedy of Heysel should as well

The guilt was evident for one. They had to fight for 30 years to get some form of justice for the other so you can see how it became front and centre… Plus Hysel was only Italians.

I’d agree entirely. Like I said, both are part of the fabric of the club.

Paddy Footix, slavishly devoted to their club side of choice in England, thinks it’s okay to boo our future King and our National Anthem.

yes, if you choose to support a foreign club, dont be an agent provocateur against the establishment of that country

If you’re supporting an English soccer team, you have to be respectful to our Monarchy/future Church leader and the institutions of our great State. Paddy Footix just doesn’t get it.

agreed

Screenshot_20220517_061727

10 Likes

The west brits are circling

Hoops upside your head! @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy is a royalist!!!

1 Like

No need to go down the sectarian rabbit hole here. This is about basic manners, respect and not acting the yob.

disappointed that this is the angle you have chosen to take, its not 1690 mate

1 Like

You’ve quoted an article by Tony Evans, same author as the article I posted above.

Here are his thoughts on the always the victim chant

Genuinely, leaving that now as the chant is clearly nothing to do with Heysel and is a way for “fans” to try get one over another “fans” club, which chances are they just happened to see them play on TV when kids and could have easily supported one over the other.

Typical Liverpool fan, never your fault

ok, we agree to disagree, its clearly about not taking responsibility for Heysel

I think Vaughany sums it up best

Klopp has the usual suspects in an awful tizzy.