Local and European election candidates

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 950015, member: 377”]What makes Brian Crowley such a big voter? Wouldn’t know anything about the guy. Hear of him for about one month in every five years and then disappears off the radar for another four years eleven months.

I don’t ever recall hearing of him making any truly memorable speeches or been involved in any big political projects.[/QUOTE]
He’s nice. Sometimes the nice guy wins

Only going by what the guy at the count was calling out-maybe I misheard what they were calling it as I was in a hoop but they were certainly calling out candidates names and giving them less than 100 beside their name-one had 34 I think.

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 950015, member: 377”]What makes Brian Crowley such a big voter? Wouldn’t know anything about the guy. Hear of him for about one month in every five years and then disappears off the radar for another four years eleven months.

I don’t ever recall hearing of him making any truly memorable speeches or been involved in any big political projects.[/QUOTE]

I had the exact same conversation with a fellow TFK correspondent (not you Manuel) down the local about a week ago. He seems a very nice man but I can’t remember one notable contribution he has made out in Brussels. He seems to come out of cold storage every few years and clean up at the European Elections before disappearing back into obscurity once more before the cycle repeats itself.

Was looking into it a bit there. Harry McGee in the Times has thrown some light on this vote getting phenomenon in his constituency profile before the elections. It would seem he has essentially the same skill set as most TD’s, probably a skill set that’s more suited to county councillor level.

Brian Crowley, Fianna Fáil Seeking his fifth term as an MEP, Crowley is assured of reelection. The popularity of this Cork MEP is a phenomenon, decoupled completely from how well or badly Fianna Fáil is faring in terms of popular support. His people skills are astonishing - there are few better in one-to-one situations and his familiarity with voters’ names and families is impressive, given the size of the electorate. As an MEP he hasn’t made any truly memorable speeches or been involved in any big political project. He was the joint head of a small group with which Fianna Fáil was affiliated in the parliament and resisted the party’s decision to join the larger liberal group. He had differences with the party leadership over his possible candidacy for the presidential elections. He has recovered from a period of illness in recent years where he underwent a series of operations to deal with issues arising from the teenage accident three decades ago that left his lower limbs paralysed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/elections/european-elections/south

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 950025, member: 377”]Was looking into it a bit there. Harry McGee in the Times has thrown some light on this vote getting phenomenon in his constituency profile before the elections. It would seem he has essentially the same skill set as most TD’s, probably a skill set that’s more suited to county councillor level.

Brian Crowley, Fianna Fáil Seeking his fifth term as an MEP, Crowley is assured of reelection. The popularity of this Cork MEP is a phenomenon, decoupled completely from how well or badly Fianna Fáil is faring in terms of popular support. His people skills are astonishing - there are few better in one-to-one situations and his familiarity with voters’ names and families is impressive, given the size of the electorate. As an MEP he hasn’t made any truly memorable speeches or been involved in any big political project. He was the joint head of a small group with which Fianna Fáil was affiliated in the parliament and resisted the party’s decision to join the larger liberal group. He had differences with the party leadership over his possible candidacy for the presidential elections. He has recovered from a period of illness in recent years where he underwent a series of operations to deal with issues arising from the teenage accident three decades ago that left his lower limbs paralysed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/elections/european-elections/south[/QUOTE]

o_O

Yeah, I hold my hands up, I was posting as I was trying to find out about this mystery man and I took those words out of Harry McGee’s mouth. I can also confirm that I am not Harry McGee.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 949901, member: 1”]Yeah, see my next point. I think you always count them all and pro-rata them. But what votes do you actually use to transfer across so that when then candidate is eliminated you have votes to transfer on further.

@Juhniallio got a very soft informative rating earlier - I think I’ve done very well on this thread but I’m being accused of not understanding the process.[/QUOTE]

Poor, Rocko. You had three speculative punts at how it works. I know and illustrated as much. More to the point, I knew your idiotic idea of the top 10 % was bollox and stated why. I’ll give you an informative if it makes you happy.

:eek:

:eek:

Manuel Zelaya = Harry McGee

It’s like doing the Irish exam in the leaving where you’d take word from the question and then repeat the paragraph where it appears in the text.

Ah you explained and illustrated nothing.

There isn’t always a random choosing of the example 10% - and the Department of Environment documentation even mentions taking the top of the bundles.

Gilmore to announce resignation at 4pm…

From government or head of the party?

Ah lovely.

No detail… I assume as party head only.

The old Labour guard all need to be booted out en masse. Badly need some new blood leading the party. The time for Gilmore, Rabbitte and that cunt Ruairi Quinn has come and gone. Take the big pensions and fuck off.

Has to be Burton as the new leader? (if indeed he is stepping down as party leader).

Is anyone gonna state the obvious about Crowley ffs. If you took the wheels from under him he’d be in Kieran Hartley terrority.

This is Oirland and rather than vote on a candidate’s ability we’d vote on their disability.

Willie Penrose will be cursing his foolhardy exit from the party. If ever Labour needed a big figure it’s now. :popcorn:

blame de leeder, blame de leeder, blame de leeder

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 950081, member: 1552”]

(if indeed he is stepping down as party leader).[/QUOTE]

Do you doubt me you cunt? My sources are concrete.