Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

Dont mind the lads. They see you coming and are afraid. You need to surprise your knees and let them know who is boss. Iā€™d say sprints with no warm up on really hard ground. Preferably in the evening when your body feels tiredā€¦ good luck.

1 Like

this right here.

Great advice, the only thing i would add, would be to ensure that you sprint downhill, landing on your heels as much as possible, punish the ground while you run.

2 Likes

I love TFK!

2 Likes

Learning to run with a forefoot strike is a massive undertaking, and almost completely pointless for a leisure runner,

Any lad out running with a big Garmin on his wrist who lands on his heels is like a fat lad on a bike in all the gear.

2 Likes

Good way to end up in a cardiac ward.

Are you suggesting running on your heels is the way to go?

weā€™re almost all heelstrikers (more than 95% of runners) even those of us who think weā€™re not.
Iā€™ve never had that analysed, I think I land mid foot but who knows, I tried running on my toes deliberately a couple of times and that has shown me that I donā€™t do it naturally, I think I have a nice gait but I might look like shit.

My belief is that forefoot is slightly more efficient but will lead to more injuries unless youā€™re skinny as a rake with perfect form (a top class athlete)
Changing gait isnā€™t worth it IMO,

2 Likes

I try to land middle as best I can. After that itā€™s in the lap of the gods.

My belief. IMO.
:roll_eyes:

Chances are that you land further back than you think, anyway out of every 20 runners, 19 are heel strikers, I wouldnā€™t worry about it. Youā€™re likely to do more damage than good if you go messing with it

I have cartilage tears in both knees. The only reason Iā€™m still running is I changed to a forefoot landing. Itā€™s not hard to do, just sore on the calves.

A friend of mine was in with the 3:15 pacers for a marathon before, before trailing off and finishing around 3:20. Said there was a woman beside him basically just running on her toes the whole way. She made it look effortless.

I am a bit of a heel striker, but not as much as I was. I learnt the hard way on hills and trails a few times, although a lot of my injuries have just come from overextending myself.

Short fast steps are much better than long slow ones. Especially on trails.

1 Like

As was told to my auld wan at a parent teacher meeting, ā€˜he lives by the mantra, ā€˜itā€™ll doā€™ā€™

21 Likes

Well done pal. Would that be the longest youā€™ve done in a while?

Thought Iā€™d never do 5km never mind 10km. Tis only cos of this place I tried it. Head down to the local forest for a handy jaunt now and again. I enjoy it, great to clear the head.

16 Likes

Brilliant stuff pal. Youā€™ll be doing 10 miles next month

1 Like

Good man Mike.

1 Like

ā€¦me hoop. Mrs would report me missing while attempting that.

1 Like

Good man Mike. Good effort.

1 Like