Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

:laughing:

:laughing:

Thanks to @Locke for pulling it all together

8 Likes

Ten miles too much for me. Thanks to the administrators @Locke and @caulifloweredneanderthal and all the other goys for getting me to 10km. My next aim is to get below the hour.

Iā€™ve a marathon to help out with in June. I wonā€™t go the full distance but aim to do 20 miles/30 km. Cycling training starting up for the TdeM - as my poor mother would say ā€œsure I canā€™t make two of myself!!ā€.

1 Like

Thanks very much to @Locke for organising and best wishes to @Mac whoā€™s made a very promising start to his reign by ignoring Lockeā€™s crazy grading decisions. Iā€™d hate to see Locke on a county board transfers and regrading committee.

I think Iā€™m going to try to do 10 miles in the Great Limerick Run or some other 10 mile challenge in May or June, but I think itā€™d be a shame to lose folk whoā€™ve gotten into the auld running/exercise by forcing them to be IN or OUT at quite a long distance.

@Mac can you come up with an overly complicated system/challenge with different distances/grades? Maybe give Locke a shout to help set it up?

6 Likes

A month is a very short time in the world of elite internet running.
Iā€™m sure the likes of @backinatracksuit would train for months to target a specific distance.

Iā€™m glad I got back into regular 3km running off the back of this. My training has now pivoted but Iā€™ll try and do the odd 5km over next few months. Itā€™s been a great motivation and one of the best TFK initiatives for positive change.

As an idea a relay team with a mix of distances might keep it interesting

For Galway @KinvarasPassion could run 100m and add his time to @flattythehurdler 15 miles

4 Likes

I reckon ten miles will be easier on the knees than 10k, which is easier than 5k.
But try to run on anything but concrete

1 Like

A team event could be good alright. Just finished a distance challenge at work and it makes you get up off your arse and do something.

Maybe teams of four with 3k/5k/10k/10 miles participants on each team? Lowest time wins? Something like that. You could do tactics like each tries three or four of the distances and put in the best time, like a scramble in golf.

1 Like

After Flatty has worked out Claire Swimmings time and deducted it from the 20 miles Matty did.

7 Likes

Honestly Iā€™ve never trained specifically for anything, I did two 32k long runs before my marathon but thatā€™s it, I do what I feel like really.
But I know now that I can run anything up to 25k (about 2 hours) before things get difficult, thatā€™s off the back of many thousands of miles,
I just love it honestly, I know Iā€™m quick enough and I like the idea of that but I donā€™t ever want to make it a chore

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Everyone here can manage a 10km now. How about setting a date in 2 months time to have a lash at a half. Iā€™ve only done one but would like to do another.

Thanks @Locke.

I posted 61mins previously (not that it makes any difference to standings).

Have taken on board some very good advice here and am trying to build up my aerobic fitness. Reckon the sub 58 is achievable in next few weeks, not even going to consider 10 miles for now.

4 Likes

I havenā€™t a hope of the longer distances but will keep tipping away to see if I can make a 10k eventually.

Itā€™s fairly straightforwardā€¦ 2 months for 10miles but have a 13k target in one monthā€™s time as part of it. Youā€™re giving lads a month to add 3k to current distance and then another month to add a further 3k. You have to complete A before doing B.

My suggestion was going to be that for June Bank Holiday weekend we target 10 miles. Those who want to stay at 10k like @mikehunt and @Biff_Egan or others can choose to do so if they wish.

And then step up to half marathon either for early July or August bank holiday weekend.

Only reason for not doing it sooner is that it can be a fair step up for lads who have just recently started or got back into it and thereā€™s already a clatter of lads with niggles and strains.

Iā€™m open to all ideas and all forms of abuse too.

1 Like

Finally youā€™re talking some sense

1 Like

Francis Iā€™m always talking senseā€¦ itā€™s just buried under a few layers of bullshit.

1 Like