Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

Turned 40 last year

1 Like

I used to do that for a long time (still do at times), donā€™t go too far because you have the security of having the option to turn back earlier if youā€™re struggling. You have the confidence now to break outside your comfort zone

whenā€™s the deadline for the 10 mile again lads?

June bank holiday I think.

Siroko.com pal

On reflection I really

donā€™t think Iā€™m running at a level where I can wear these without seeing myself as everything I despise

3 Likes

Fellow middle distance athletes, I require assistance with three (3) queries:

1. Would you eat anything before embarking on an 8am 80-minute run? I donā€™t tend to eat anything if Iā€™m doing anything up to 10km.
  2. If youā€™re tackling 10 miles for the first time, would you programme your Garmin watch / Strava app to miles or kilometres as the measurement unit? Would the more regular buzzes of the watch every kilometre signify progress and be good for the mentality or would holding out for 16 buzzes be a few buzzes too many and end up pissing you off?
  3. Could you recommend some music please? I like a bit of electro-pop with hooks and choruses, and it can be mainstream or obscure.

I would eat nothing but do take some sweets with you, have a glass of water before you set off. Pastilles are good, or if you want the placebo effect of eating proper running jellies, Clif Shots are delicious.
Always go for kilometres, as you said, the regular beeps are nicer, miles are very long

Pet shop boys

1 Like

No.
Miles.
Bizarre Love Triangle on repeat.

2 Likes

No
Miles
No

1 Like
  1. I donā€™t really run in the morning but I think Iā€™d find it very hard to run without some sort of fuel
  2. KMs
  3. I like to listen to very easy going folky stuff on the longer runs, helps me get into a rhythm
1 Like
  1. I did my 2 10 mile runs last summer at 8am. I had a small bowl of porridge around 7am. I also picked a route that circled back by my house around the 8k mark and left a bottle of water out as I get dehydrated very easily.
  2. kmā€™s but keep running till about 16.2 or 16.3 to be safe. Strava will give you your 10 mile time.
  3. Iā€™d suggest the Hurling Podcast episode with Damien Fitzhenry. His talk of 96 and his disgust at the sacking of John Meyler will have you running through your pain threshold.
3 Likes

What version?

Thanks lads. Will probably avoiding eating (no sweets in house), will stick with kilometres and Iā€™ve even made a Spotify playlist for my followers too.

1 Like

Forget about distance, run for a length of time. Donā€™t even look at your watch till you feel youā€™re an hour in.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Winner winner winner

1 Like

Each to their own Bando.
Iā€™ll eat at least 60-90 minutes prior to my 16.1km run. Iā€™d probably do a 7am light breakfast for a 9am race time.

Depends what your stomach can hack. There was a lad from home, who after doing a few marathons, decided that the best route for him was to eat nothing before it.

1 Like

I plan on doing 80 minutes tomorrow (if I can) and seeing how far I get. Donā€™t have the patience/discipline not to cast glances at the watch. Iā€™ll tackle the 10 miles then over the May Bank Holiday weekend.

4 Likes

If youā€™re running for less than 2 hour any food in your belly is just extra to be carrying.
But the sweets are a good idea, trust me

2 Likes