Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

You wouldnā€™t drive a car without some petrol in it, fuel up.

• or diesel or charged.

As long as your diet isnā€™t a total disaster youā€™ll body will have plenty of fuel stored for almost two hours running straight from the bed

A bit of porridge or a banana would help no end. Plenty of water.

Before a big cycle Iā€™d have porridge, brown bread with peanut butter and a banana.

I wouldnā€™t advise anyone what to do on pre-run nutrition. We are all very different in that regard. What works for one night no work for another. The lad I run with next door can do three hours without breakfast. Iā€™d struggle with an hour

@backinatracksuit tell me more about these sweets you use

Heā€™d have to get up early to digest all that ā€¦ @Bandage have half a banana and a coffee about 30 mins before you go out if you want a little something in your tum tum and make sure youā€™re hydrated, should be fine. The sweets idea is sound advice also but donā€™t go atin a whole package of emā€¦

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/clif-bloks-mountain-berry-60036608?skuid=036608

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/high5-energy-gummies-mixed-berries-26g-60037885?skuid=037885

Iā€™ve used both of these. Thereā€™s also a caffeine version of the High 5 but Iā€™m wary of caffeine after puking the one time I had a caffeine gel (I was super dehydrated so donā€™t necessarily think it was the gelā€™s fault but I donā€™t do caffeine drinks bar the rare Coca-cola).

Youre effectively running on one leg not having caffeine before a run.

A lovely mug of tesco gold blend (mmmmmmmm, yum) before a run @flattythehurdler @backinatracksuit

I donā€™t drink coffee. I donā€™t drink tea really (maybe a couple of cups a year). I took a sip of Coke on a mountain race before and that felt a little funny.

Iā€™m looking at possibly doing an ultra later this year. Iā€™ll have to figure out what Iā€™ll need to drink on route. Itā€™ll mainly be water but I might take a small electrolytes drink or mix some water with coke (as gross as that sounds).

Plenty of drinks not full of shite have caffeine in them and thereā€™s nowt wrong with em ā€¦ but if you really aint bothered source yourself something with BCAAs in it ā€¦ BCAAs are something the body produces so itā€™s nothing synthetic or bad for the body ā€¦ itā€™s not an energy booster or anything like that, it just delays the onset of muscle fatigue ā€¦ you can buy it in powder form and make your own. or go for something like NOCOO - they have with or without caffeineā€¦ iā€™d think about it for an ultra ā€“ you can drink before and during to help.

1 Like

Iā€™ll read up about it, thanks Bro

BCAAs are a con.

1 Like

Are they? Tell that to your body.

A complete cod.

Youā€™d be better off ating cod.

1 Like

Food Beforehand: None.
Drink Beforehand: Water.
Measurement Unit: Kilometer.
Playlist: ā€œIā€™m an athleteā€ by me on Spotify.
Time: 77 minutes (quit after c.9 miles)
Distance: 14.51km
Time/km: 5:18

21 Likes

Were you going for the full 10 miler today? That was a very good effort in fairness

I have.

Hereā€™s a very useful slide for you from a colleague:

3 Likes

great going bando, thinking of going for a jaunt like this on Sunday

1 Like