Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

Thereā€™s two things to consider here.
At a certain point while youā€™re running for a long time you get very tired, start to feel like stopping, for you this probably happens earlier than it does for me, i find a couple of sweets just wake you up a bit and give you some short term energy, if you run a marathon you could end up eating a pound of sweets no problem.
If you are running for close to two hours youā€™ll be needing to reload your carbohydrate stores, this is non negotiable, the sweets can do the job here as well.
I put a pack in the belt yeah.

The jelly beans are grand @Mac but those clif bloks are savage,

1 Like

Bando - Half a banana and coffee will do you 30 minutes prior to run if you want something in your system.

If you want to bring sweets, you shouldnt really need one till over 10k mark really.

:joy:

Is there a certain type of door thatā€™s better to head out for your run??

6 Likes

Big Dogā€™s Backyard Ultra: The toughest, weirdest race youā€™ve never heard of - Big Dog's Backyard Ultra: The toughest, weirdest race you've never heard of - BBC Sport

No offence mate, but that sounds really boring. :grinning:

Might work for you, but Iā€™m always looking for ways to make it more comfortable.
You surely donā€™t do long runs without bringing something to eat?

Ive run just under 3 hours on empty.

2 Likes

COMFORT??

Take up cycling.

1 Like

When your mind is full of zen, it doesnt matter if the stomach is empty.

1 Like

That makes you a freak though, (in the nicest possible way), thereā€™s about one in 500 would manage that

I donā€™t see the harm in discussing nutrition on a long run

This is where youā€™ve come from.
:clap:

4 Likes

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/dextro-energy-orange-60084567?skuid=084567&&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0lgaoDd1vwxqoDirF24hUJlvYspAjusf16VfKIsNY7kkOx5-I13nuUgaApt5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We used take these in the 1980s. Great gear. Still around I see.

1 Like

They work a treat for a good burst of false energy

Iā€™d always have porridge and a banana pre marathon but I think the meal the night before is more important. If I was just doing a long run Iā€™d probably have a banana or bowl of cereal. In the past I would have ran plenty of long runs on empty. Some experts recommend doing long runs on empty because it gets your body used to how youā€™ll feel after 20 miles in the marathon.

5 Likes

Add these and heā€™s laughing

1 Like

When Iā€™ve done the longer runs lately Iā€™ve had porridge with a chopped banana and nuts about an hour beforehand. I donā€™t think Iā€™d react well to running on empty, but as you say itā€™s the meal the night before that is most important. Last week I had a chicken madras and 4 bottles of IPA the night before. They provided plenty of nos the next morning.

5 Likes

An hour? Iā€™d still be digesting at the time ā€¦ iā€™m a minimum of 1.5 hours or nothing at all.

Running empty is great - youā€™ll surprise yourself. My last few runs empty were really poor tho, iā€™m putting it down to lack of sleep rather than food in my tum tum.

1 Like

I always run fasted, and if Iā€™m planning anything under 10 miles I wonā€™t bring anything

But I know from experience that Iā€™ll need something if Iā€™m going over the 20k, I was late to the nutrition party to be honest

Youā€™ve plenty of broken down 40 somethings whoā€™ve never gone over 10k here so itā€™s understandable they are suffering by mile 8.

key.

In any sport the nutrition the day before is nearly more important than the day of.

1 Like