Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

I’d say that’s a sign that they’re for the bin,
I find that they wear differently, but you tend to know when they’re past it, you’ll definitely get a bounce in your times from a new shoe, (if you’re looking to do that)
You’re clearly very quick, I’d consider picking up an everyday pair and a pair for racing/speed work.

Currently running in Asics GT-2000, thinking of upgrading to the Kayano 27.

I have had many pairs of both. Much of a muchness for me.

The kayano is for fatties, don’t let the price fool you, that’s not an upgrade, just loads of cushioning and extra weight, it’s a good shoe for a beginner or a heavy footed plodder. But you’d be drained carrying it around.

Are you sure you need a support shoe?
If so go for the Saucony guide,
Lovely shoe, much lighter than the kayano

1 Like

I’ve no idea what I need, but I do like the idea of support/stability given my issues with injuries.

Haven’t checked this thread in a while, what was the plans, 10 miles in May or was that April?

I got a pair of Brooks adreneline gts 21 two weeks ago and they are the most comfortable things I have ever worn. Took 90 seconds off my 10km time as well on my second run.

3 Likes

10 miles before the June weekend

1 Like

Unless you’re actually pronating I don’t think the stability shoe makes any difference.

I wore Kayano for about a year at the start, once I stepped into the Saucony guide I was finished with the ASICS, offers everything the kayano does in a lighter and more comfortable shoe,
But I subsequently stopped wearing stability shoes and I haven’t looked back

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about the Adtenaline,

Brooks don’t seem to suit me, I’ve had two pairs and never took to them but lots of people swear by them.

1 Like

Elverys have a pair, SAUCONY GUIDE 13, for €112

Is the GT-2000 a stability shoe?

1 Like

A great shoe, there is a 14 out now I see, going for 140

Yes, the GT2000 is a stability shoe but it’s on the lighter end of the stability spectrum compared to kayano

1 Like

The fella selling them to me told me they are a “fast” shoe. I had my doubts and presumed it was just sales pitch talk but after several runs I find myself nodding in agreement with him.

1 Like

They’d be designed for comfort rather than speed but probably an upgrade on your previous pair hence the improvement.
If you put on a pair of Ghost or Hyperion you’d notice real improvement but you wouldn’t want to use them every day

The Nike Zoomx Invincible to prevent injuries.

Very cushioned.

I might add a lighter one for a few strides and sprints

1 Like

What are the nike ones where you don’t have to train anymore and you still run fast?

They are next step up

Nike Alphafly

Call into Gleeson’s or somewhere when they reopen. Talk to Siobhan in there.

Nobody is the same. A friend of mine is a lovely runner, 3:20 marathoner but capable of much lower. Always wears the GT2000. Isn’t an over pronator in my mind (i.e. a heel striker) but finds they work best for him.

Look out for something called heel drop when searching shoes. The higher the drop (e.g. 10/12mm) the more your heel is up from the front of your foot, so the more they’re made for over pronators

You could do worse than tip down to amphibian King in Bray…

@Mac is a huge advocate.