Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

Epic effort. Well done lad.

1 Like

Your heart rate and calories can’t be right ??

No, I leave the watch loose now as it was irritating my wrist. I assume the heart rate feeds into the calorie calcs.

I felt in trouble around kms 5 - 8, really struggled its an undulating, mostly uphill straight stretch into the breeze, but I have a turn at 12km that I class as being home, so I just tend to open up there as it’s mostly downhill.

1 Like

It’s amazing the difference a headwind makes :grimacing::grimacing:
That’s a great run.

1 Like

Hadn’t run in almost 2 weeks after having a bug all of last weekend… Bit slow today and was gonna call it at 8k but went off down Hartys Quay and eeked out another 4.

15 Likes

Brilliant stuff :clap:

3 Likes

You’ll have to patent your predicted run time calculator

2 Likes

Epic stuff

Brilliant

Nearly went my first week since March 2020 without a run. Busted shoulder and a cold all week. Did 4km-ish there as I couldn’t go the week without something :joy:

2 Likes

I’m bolloxed

4 Likes

A heap of beers and crisps will sort ya

51KQfhenHHL.SX343_BO1,204,203,200

3 Likes

Wait til you start doing races. A day of eating and drinking after it.

2 Likes

Well done, pal. :+1::running_man::handshake:

1 Like

Cheers bud. If nothing else it’ll get @backinatracksuit out on the road to beat it

Irish Times has a county by county running trail guide

2 Likes

Wicklow one here as an example. Maps are there too

Wicklow
Name: The Devil’s Glen
Car Park: Opens at 8am, closes at 5pm
Background: The Devil’s Glen boasts a dramatic landscape that was fashioned at the end of the Ice Age when the melt waters of the ice sheet created the valley. The resultant gorge affords a swift decent for the Vartry River as it makes its way from the Vartry Reservoir to nearby Ashford village. The site hosts a mixture of broad leaf and conifer forest with fine stands of beech, Spanish chestnut and ash. The steep rock face of the gorge has been colonised by various species of plant life: lichens, mosses and the polypody fern. The site was once part of the Glanmore estate, former ancestral home of John Millington Synge. On the northern bank of the river you can see the privately owned Tottenham Estate.

Two car-parks service the Devils Glen. One of these car parks is located at the County road close to the start of the Seamus Heaney way this car park has a capacity of five cars and is always accessible. A second car park with a capacity of 25 cars and a coach park are located at the start of the Waterfall Walk, access to these parking areas is limited to 9am to 5pm daily the opening hours of the barrier to the Devils Glen.

Route information: The wood has two looped walks these trails are waymarked. The Seamus Heaney Walk (4km, 2hrs, moderate), named in honour of the poet and Nobel Prize winner, is a lovely run through the high forest. On the Waterfall Walk (5km, 2hrs, moderate) the waterfall marks the spot where the Vartry enters the Devil’s Glen en route to the sea. Prior to the construction of the Vartry Reservoir (1860s) the roar from the waterfall was much greater than it is today. Its echo through the gorge sounded as a “Satanic power announcing some great doom” and gave the glen its popular name. The Seamus Heaney Walk Starts at the lower car park and joins the waterfall loop. You can make the 4km Heaney loop into a 9km loop taking in the wonderful waterfall on the waterfall loop. It may slow you down but it is definitely worth heading up to the viewing point of the waterfall itself to hear its thunderous roar. (Aided by: Sport Ireland and Coillte

1 Like

can you fire up the dublin one there TUM?

Dublin
Name:Carrickgollogan – Lead Mines Way – (Orange)
Route type: Loop
Grade: Easy
Length: 2km
Footwear: Road or Trail Runners
Background: Embrace impressive views over Dublin Bay, the city and the coast on this gentle 2km forest loop near Kilternan, County Dublin. An easy forest loop over woodland paths, the pleasant Carrickgollogan Lead Mines Way takes just 40 minutes to complete.

Route Information: This trail loops anticlockwise around lush Carrickgollogan forest, giving walkers the option of veering north to the disused 19th-century lead mines chimney or south to Carrickgollogan Hill. The historic lead mines chimney was in use until the 1920s, from this point you’ll embrace views of Dublin City, pretty Dublin Bay and its recognisable coastline. The viewing rock atop Carrickgollogan Hill boasts more superb views, this time of verdant south Dublin and north Wicklow. The climb to the hill is short and traverses a moderately sloped footpath. After your loop, nearby Kilternan is the place to stop for that well-earned cup of tea. (Aided by: Discover Ireland and Coillte)

2 Likes