Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

64.42 @Mac sorry didnā€™t realize we were to bump our times.

Thanks for organizing

3 Likes

So I went to a local physio on Tuesday for the first time and she was very nice but completely different to Aidan Woods (Pearse Street Physio) and James Sherry (ex Pearse Street, now his own business in D15). Theyā€™d really manipulate the calf and apply pressure and recommend foam rolling, sticking a sliotar in it, thumb up the hole, a detailed recovery programme etc. But she was very tentative and circumspect. I got a very gentle rub (of the calf) and she recommended 3 or 4 light stretches and told me I could keep running but to pull distance back from 35km/40km per week to 20km/25km. Sheā€™s against foam rolling and thinks people need to be cautious rather than aggressive with strains. It occurred to me that a lapsed TFK poster would call her a bluffer. Iā€™ve done two runs since and I had to stop this morning, as my calf was sore. Iā€™m back with her the week after next.

1 Like

Iā€™ve a friend who is now doing physio for an inter county team. Heā€™s a big advocate of foam rolling.

Iā€™ve talked to other physical therapists who are against them.

1 Like

Just set up a direct debit

1 Like

Take a week off and do those exercises above every night. Do foam rolling. All of this aids injury reduction which is not in their interest.

2 Likes

Grab a mini band on Amazon. Banded glute bridges and clams for your glutes will help the calf a lot.

2 Likes

I ran this morning in 17 degrees of sweltering heat. It was very close also. I felt awful from the start, had to loosen my shoes twice as my feet were clearly swelling up, and arrived home like Iā€™d just had a bath feeling absolutely drained. My legs are killing me even now.
My times were really slow.
If I was a racehorse Iā€™d be down in Larry Goodmanā€™s yard.

3 Likes

How will I lose calories if I donā€™t run? I want to look like Carl Froch.

1 Like

Eat less

2 Likes

You cant outrun a bad diet.

3 Likes

You should be eating to match your training not training to match your eating.

2 Likes

But my son was 1 the other day and thereā€™s still a lot of the Baby Shark birthday cake to get through. Not to mention the apple and rhubarb tarts, fruits cakes and buns my mother arrived up with. You canā€™t be throwing good food out.

4 Likes

Got my first ever sports massage after my injury enforced running absence. Absolute game changer. Iā€™ve the back of a 38 year old man now and 3 (three) local legend segment titles to reclaim.

2 Likes

22 Likes

Well done mate. The pace donā€™t matter, getting the heart rate up for an extended period of the like that will lead to better health.

#TFKinour90s

3 Likes

Hit some hills and trails I hadnā€™t been near in 7/8 weeks Iā€™d say. Thereā€™s some growth out there. A lot of the trails no longer visible making it more technical. 17.5km slow run, not huge climbing (600m-ish) but good to get out

1 Like

For those thinking of starting a bit on the trails, the shorter distances might be a good goal for late September. Terrain wouldnā€™t be too difficult.

Edit: turns out the 18km sold out. 29km nearly sold out

Cc @Mac etc.

2 Likes

Cheers - just registered for the 29km. Managed a pain free 5km yesterday so hoping to build up a few longer runs over the next few weekends

4 Likes

I better pull the finger out and do a bit of training :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

3 Likes

@fenwaypark Iā€™m a little worried youā€™re going too fast these past few days. You need to slow it down to reduce your injury risk.

1 Like