Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

That was a hard run this morning. Something like 20 mins by 2 with 5 minute recovery between would have been easier. Next time you are doing a tempo or intervals, let me know day before hand, and I will set you one.

5 Likes

Right. Iā€™m pottering round slowly all week with Clare and stevo doing give or take 10k really sliwly.
I have a 25k fell run in 7 weeks
How should I be training now?

1 Like

You need to do more of the same and ditch the bike/swim. You are not spending enough time on your feet.

Thanks pal. I usually do a 10km-12km Bull Island loop as my long/hard run on Friday mornings so I retained that. I introduced a tempo on Tuesday and did an interval yesterday. My other 2 running days (Sunday & Monday) will be just easy runs where Iā€™m trying to stay around 150bpm. Wednesday and Saturday are my days off. So Iā€™ll probably keep that schedule going:

Sunday - easy
Monday - easy
Tuesday - tempo
Thursday - interval
Friday - long/hard

Unless you think I should change the order so Iā€™m not having two consecutive easy days?

Thatā€™s what most runners do but your long run should be very easy and not hard. Long run is just about time on your feet. Switch long run to Sunday and do recovery on days after a session. Recovery would be no longer than 40/45 mins of very easy running.

Whats your bp for 5k? Once you give me this, we can sort out next week with paces everyday.

1 Like

5km going flat out Iā€™d be around 170bpm, if thatā€™s what you mean? Iā€™d be around 160-165bpm if I was aiming for even 5:00/km splits for 5km. My 5km pb is 24:26, Iā€™ve been belting into the Friday 10kms as I want to break 50 minutes. But Iā€™ve yet to manage it and my excuse is my route on Bull Island (trudging through soft sand in parts) isnā€™t conducive to it.

1 Like

Assuming Iā€™m not ditching the bike and or swimming, you are reckoning I need to just do those low effort 10k runs most days and that will suffice?

It will, you just want to complete it rather than running for a particular time. Keep doing what you are doing.

1 Like

First 10k in 18 months. The slog is over. The motor is now purring like a Maine Coon. New brĆ³ga gasta en route in the post.

10 Likes

Well done yesterday @caulifloweredneanderthal :clap:

3 Likes

Thanks bud. It was yesterday. I puked hard in three different counties coming home :grimacing:

4 Likes

My mate Matt yesterday :flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

An impressive time but has all the gear in fairness and it was pan flat.

@flattythehurdler - Will you pass on that oooft to Matty like a good man

2 Likes

A fella ā€˜having all the gearā€™ is the ultimate Irish put down. The English fella will take it as a compliment

2 Likes

Heā€™s actually the least materialistic ā€œ all the gearā€™ type youā€™d ever meet. Time trialling is his thing. It was him got me disqualified from my lockdown 5k, but also dragged me to the time. Over 40kph, and 250watts for four hours.
Try putting out 250 watts for 4 hours @Locke

Who took the photo, the girl driving the car he was drafting behind?

Go out and try and hold 250 Watts for an hour.

Donā€™t have a power meter on the bike. My best is 36km in an hour on my bike on flattish road in ordinary gear and no car to draft off.

@fenwaypark please may I have my training plan for the week ahead?

PS, I did a slow easy run yesterday evening and took today off, rather than the opposite, as I had my second vaccine jab today.

1 Like