Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

Iā€™m in 2 minds really. I should be getting hill miles into my legs for a race at end of November but am pressed for time tomorrow as things stand so the parkrun could work. I havenā€™t been doing much fast runs but after the fast 10k run a couple of weeks back Iā€™m curious what I could do the parkrun in if I try. I could just as easily decide to stay in bed in the morning either :sweat_smile:

Donā€™t do Tymon. New course is very tough.

1 Like

Parkrun is a great workout.

2 Likes

Will they scan bar code off phone or do you need to have it printed out?

I usually let my fitness go completely over the winter but Iā€™ve entered a few 5ks to try and motivate myself. The parkruns are a great way to start a Saturday morning.

I looked it up last week and said you had to have it printed.

Have never ran Tymon one but am sure Iā€™ve covered most of the course. Marlay is a bit closer to me so might jog up there. First K is tough but itā€™s mostly grand after that. Wonā€™t be pushing too hard either way.

Sure why not have a craic at it? If I was to offer you a little bit of advice Iā€™d say:

Make sure to do a light warm up tomorrow. 10 mins with 3 or 4 short strides and stretching. This will wake up the legs.

Head out at 4.20 k per minute. Im 100 percent confident you can hold this pace. Start off near front and fall into a group running that pace. Dont go off quicker than that. Draft behind that group (not proper running etiquitte, but they dont realise you are trying to impress a bunch of strangers from the internet).

At 3k mark, dont be scared to kick on a bit as the adrenalin will get you home.

Main thing is to enjoy it. Its only a 5k race. You have put together a very good block of training. Sub 22 is there, you just need to trust in training and believe it. Good luck.

8 Likes

They say you need to have it printed but Iā€™ve seen plenty of folk in St Anneā€™s getting the bar code scanned off their phones. My life partner has had no issue with this on a couple of parkruns since it resumed.

1 Like

I just rang Parkrun HQ. Presenting barcodes on a phone is a serious breach of the rules. Hopefully the event gets closed down for this

4 Likes

Might head to marley myself if I can get out. Definitely quicker than Tymon.

1 Like

Noted and Iā€™ll tell St Anneā€™s to fall in line with health and safety measures. We donā€™t want the parkrun founder fella to have his knighthood rescinded.

When I am acting as ED, barcode scanners are under strict instructions to take the token off them and refuse to scan a barcode presented on a phone.

4 Likes

You run a tight ship. Would you ever start the race early at 9.28 or 9.29 to sicken a few fuckers trying to cut it fine?

1 Like

9:00 am on the mainland, not 8:59 or 9:01. 9AM!

7 Likes

Lazy fuckin Micks with their 9:30!

2 Likes

Going to attempt a 10km this wkd. Since the hurling started back Iā€™ve become more and more unfit. One would imagine it would go the other way. Winters in, running season is back.

3 Likes

@bandage :clap::clap: yet again

2 Likes

Some man @Bandage

1 Like

Heā€™s like some sort of running machine

1 Like