Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

The two or three that were waving me to ā€œstay on courseā€ probably should have copped I wasnā€™t racing. But most people at the finish were eating, drinking, chatting and posing for photos. I think it was over an hour after it started so Iā€™d say practically everyone doing it was finished.

2 Likes

Good running today @Bandage , 4.10 is excellent for 800s. Thats a very tough session.

2 Likes

Found it tough alright. Windy, and it was wet underfoot too. As I run more, I think Iā€™m a slogger. I enjoy the long runs more than the shorter speed sessions. Iā€™m a dour stayer in horse racing terms. That said, I know the speed and endurance sessions allow me to run the longer distances at a relatively decent pace.

3 Likes

If you want to go faster over longer, you need to get faster over shorter first. Once half marathon is done, we will do another block of 5k training and then go into marathon block.

4 Likes

Signed up for my first race, Adare 10k in February, supposed to be a nice one

6 Likes

Which of the Saucony runners did you recommend for racing again? Are you still a Flipbelt advocate? So much to ponder before my own proper race debut too. Do you recommend a type of gloves? The change is weather has caught me out lately. I like to wear bandanas rather than hats/caps when running. But I canā€™t find (m)any decent ones. Iā€™m also unsure whether Iā€™ll get away with a T-shirt or if Iā€™ll need a half zip or something as a second layer. Iā€™d much prefer the T-shirt only but I donā€™t know if I get away with that at the end of November.

2 Likes

https://www.therunhub.ie/mens-running-apparel/

You need a base layer for colder weather. I could not run without a hat and gloves.

For a race, just shorts and t shirt. Bring an old hoody or jacket and discard at start.

Obviously, make sure t shirt is a running one.

1 Like

Lovely one. Got my 10k PR there 4/5 years ago. It was the first time I did a 10k race (my first race was a half marathon)

2 Likes

These are great @Bandage - short sleeves means you wonā€™t get too hot. I used to use long sleeve base layers but would struggle to go back to them after using these

2 Likes

Iā€™ve an auld Inov-8 short sleeve base layer for 4/5 years. Got it out of the press for the first time since January the other day with a long sleeve running t shirt over. No need for gloves yet @Bandage for me but we are all different. I love running in the cold. A bit of snow , even better.

Great price on that base layer @Mac

1 Like

Could you recommend a type/style of running T-shirt?

Cheers for that base layer recommendation @Mac.

Thereā€™s loads here if youā€™re ordering the base layer

https://outlet.asics.com/ie/en-ie/mens-short-sleeve-shirts/c/ao10301000/

1 Like

See @Mac post. Basically any running top.

1 Like

The Asics Outlet is up there with Decathlon as being an absolute gem of a place for running gear. They keep sending me 20% off codes every week too

2 Likes

Ronhill are probably the nicest running top Iā€™ve worn mate. Asics make very good ones. All your usual brands New Balance etc

2 Likes

PM me a code please. Iā€™ll do some ordering after Celticā€™s tame 3-1 reversal in Budapest.

Iā€™ll answer all your queries later, Iā€™ve done the research do you donā€™t have to

Shoes, headwear, flipbelt, t-shirts, cold weather tops, is that everything?

1 Like

Love running in the cold and crisp air. Tonight is perfect for a run if I didnā€™t have to stay and mind the kids. Might do a late run altogether.

1 Like

Iā€™m the opposite. Hate the cold. Much happier with heat and humidity.

1 Like