Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

That would be a nice target.
I’ve decided I’m aiming to win the half marathon at the GLR

6 Likes

You’ll probably do it too.

Thank you. All of that plus what to eat and how long before a half marathon.

What do you eat before those big runs you’re doing at the moment? Because it’s working.

I saw a clip with Catriona McKiernan who said she could run 45 minutes after porridge. Others need 2-3 hours.

Porridge, brown bread with peanut butter never did me wrong before a long run. 20k a gel or two maybe. You won’t need a whole pile. Loads of jellies on offer during the big races, nab a few of them.

TFK division at the Limerick Run 22 lads?

I’m targeting the GLR Half in my racing calendar, would like to break two hours.

A road half marathon you should be able to get round with a few sips of water. Especially the time @bandage is going to do it in

1 Like

I had a bowl of porridge and a banana when I did 22km and just a banana when I did 24km (around an hour/hour and a half before running)! I felt more comfortable on the first run, but my time for a half marathon was slightly better the second day.

1 Like

The porridge and banana would be standard approach but we’re all different. I know of people who run marathons on nothing cos their stomach can’t handle it. I couldn’t manage much more than 10-12km without food before.

I might do the Limerick half too @Locke . With all the arsing around the mountains I’ve been doing I think I’ve forgotten how to run.

3 Likes

Bowl of porridge two hours before long run.

1 Like

Also, don’t be thinking about times during the week. Just do runs at presribed paces. Some days they feel easier, some days harder but its part of the process.

1 Like

OK, there’s a lot there but I think I can help, I’ve tried everything and have settled on what suits me I think.
First of all, the flipbelt, it’s the most essential piece of running equipment that I own, I have two identical, flipbelt brand, it would be one of the first purchases I would recommend to anybody starting out, you want to be comfortable and it can carry plenty without you even noticing you’re wearing it, it’s brilliant. A genuine game changer,

The Saucony shoes I recommended were the Endorphin speed, these are suitable for everyday use, light as a feather, you’ll be bouncing off the ground, you might prefer to save them for quicker sessions but once you’re in them you won’t want to go back to a heavier shoe, if you want to splash out then the endorphin pro are a proper road racing shoe, just for races, you will thank me, if you like the iso guide these will be perfect, and I guarantee you’ll run faster.
The speed are the light colour, the pro are in black, the lanacane is for your nipples, if you’re running in the rain this will become an issue, lanacane is your best friend.

For winter headwear I’ve found another game changer, these are buff brand, you can wear it a number of ways

But I wear it like this when I go out in the cold

Now the game changer bit, you will always warm up on a run and want to take your hat off, stick it in your pocket or carry it?? Not anymore, you can now wear it as a wristband, trust me, you need a couple of these

I also overheat in the thermal base layers do I usually wear a long sleeve heavier T-shirt, they’re widely available, this is my favourite, well this is the tag, grand and warm, but make sure it’s a proper running top

As regards a T-shirt as long as it’s a proper technical top it f so identify matter who made it, my favourite brands are Reebok and under armour, but you need to wear the proper type of T-shirt, cotton is a no no, I presume you know that.
Wear proper running socks (I like stance and Steigen) and jocks, sports brands rather than CK

Food isn’t really important for a half marathon, have whatever you’d eat before a long run if you eat at all, I always run fasted but I’d eat something small before a half and I’d eat a couple of gels just as a placebo, but you can run that on a pint of water no problem.
Good luck with the training, it can be challenging in winter

6 Likes

Just keep going…

1 Like

Wow. That’s unreal information. Thanks, lots in there that hadn’t occurred to me.

I’m actually tentative about tomorrow’s long run because of the fast segments you incorporated into it. It’s a tough ask to maintain those paces. :anguished:

1 Like

It does not help that you ran the last two days quicker than you should have!

You are well capable of managing that run tomorrow. Its tough, but its meant to be.

1 Like

Got a message that Tallaght 5k is back open for entries today if you were still looking. Don’t think I’ll be around that weekend now myself.

1 Like

Yeah, signed up for that.

1 Like

Depends really. It would be a nice treat after your dinner. With all the running you are doing you could have a whole one.

1 Like