Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

Great stuff lads, youā€™re consistently very helpful. The only thing left is to get comfortable with running jargon. For example, Iā€™m toeing the line for the Clontarf half in less than 3 weeks now. I also think Fenway has incorporated pick ups into some of the runs lately and Iā€™m intrigued by the concept of brick runs too. Itā€™s like that time I played tennis for a while in Wexford Harbour Boat & Tennis Club and I was enthralled when people used to say they won 3 & 2 to describe a 6-3, 6-2 victory. Fascinating stuff tbh.

1 Like

Youā€™ll be trying for a negative split in Clontarf??

Thereā€™s some very good books that explainatathon running and the terms and jargon very well

The Hal Higdon books are very good as are the Hanson programme books

This guy is something else.

1 Like

Hello pal. Permission to switch Thursday to today, Friday to Thursday and Wednesday to Friday? Think it might suit to do long tomorrow morning if Iā€™m having a few Ireland match pints tomorrow night.

1 Like

100 percent, work away. Enjoy the pints.

1 Like

To simplify matters, I just did the Wednesday session as planned. But Iā€™ll probably switch Thursday and Friday. Thanks coach.

1 Like

@fenwaypark - I couldnā€™t hack the last 30 minutes after emptying myself doing 60 minutes @4:50/km after the first 30 minute segment. Called a halt 17 minutes in so weā€™ll call that a warm down. It worked out at 21.1km in 1hr 47 when it would have averaged out at 23.3km in 2hrs had I managed to finish that last section. I just had it in mind to drag myself to half marathon distance before stopping.

2 Likes

You must be at your fighting weight now @Bandage

Iā€™m down to normal weight on BMI for the first time since Faythe Harriers lost the 1995 U14 county final. I was taken off frees for the final after hitting them all year because I was striking a few bad ones in training in the lead up to the game. The replacement free taker had a nightmare and I was restored to freetaking duties before half time. I didnā€™t miss one of the bastards after that, but thatā€™s not really relevant to the lockdown running challenge.

9 Likes

60 mins at 4.50 is key part. killer of a session, well done.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a savage half marathon time @Bandage - youā€™re flying

1 Like

Might not be relevant but a great story nonetheless.

1 Like

@Bandage is a great storyteller. One of the best here. Sports journalismā€™s loss has been TFKā€™s gain.

Brilliant time there pal. You will do untold in Clontarf

1 Like

@Bandage can I follow you on Strava?
If so, maybe somebody could send me a link if such a thing is possible?
Obviously Iā€™m quite happy for you to follow me back,
Itā€™s a great story

1 Like

Yeah, not a bother. Have a look at TFK group on it and check this weekā€™s mileage, or leaderboard as they call it, & Iā€™ll be up near the top. Youā€™ll note that Iā€™m very handsome.

3 Likes

You may well be handsome but you got some chubby lad to pose for your profile shot

Cheers, I look forward to watching this unfold, I think 1:40 is the target, 1:35 by summer

1 Like

My coach tells me to focus on the process rather than times.

That said, I think a lot will depend on the day/weather. I ran back into the park today to get a bit of relief from the wind. It was wild enough down at the coast. There have been other days, even earlier this month, when itā€™s been surprisingly still down there though.

3 Likes

Just joined the Strava group there folks, hope thatā€™s OK?

6 Likes

Welcome to the group. :running_man::two_men_holding_hands: