Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

You beat me buy a few secondsā€¦ Was out today and thought Iā€™d give it a go

8 Likes

Great stuff.

I was gutted by the fact I got no medals on Strava (assuming cause it was first attempt at the distance)

2 Likes

The best way of getting strava medals I find is to forget to turn your watch off and drive home.

6 Likes

@fenwaypark, I bumped into my old work colleague earlier this week and it turns out heā€™s pacing 1hr 45mins for the half. Said heā€™s paced it 6 or 7 times before and his experience is some folk come a cropper on the sand section on the way back. Itā€™s about 4km on sand in total, 2km on way out and same on way back. Just an FYI for our race plan. :joy:

1 Like

Sand ?
That would be seriously tough enough unless itā€™s very very compacted?

1 Like

Last big session tomorrow. Keep with prescribed paces. You will be tempted to go faster, legs will be fresh from three days of easy running.

1 Like

Iā€™ve ran on it a fair bit and itā€™s usually compacted enough the closer you stay to the water. I donā€™t know if the race has a designated section/trail thatā€™s less compact. I should have asked him tbf.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be tempted to go quicker than 4:40/km in the last 30-minute segment!

Iā€™ll probably be running tomorrow night, which will be my first long run in the dark.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not the section im worried about. If you go off too quick in earlier sections, you will find it very tough to hit 4.40 pace in last 30 mins. Thatā€™s the key section. You will deffo hit it, if you do earlier segments as prescribed, and not faster.

2 Likes

Last time I did wan, 10 years ago now, I went off with the sub 1.30 pacers but let them go half way aroundā€¦ I got 1.35 for it tho. Whenā€™s your race?

Point taken. Iā€™m trying to plot a route in my head, as I wonā€™t venture into the bowels of the park after dark. Iā€™ll run towards Sutton or Howth for the first hour. If I aim to be in the Coolock area after 90 minutes then Iā€™ll be motivated to run fast out of there for the last 30.

1 Like

Saturday week, Clontarf Half Marathon. 1hr 35mins is some going, old pal.

2 Likes

Best of luck . Get a carb gel for your fanny pack.

Well done @Bandage , great run.

2 Likes

Thanks. I enjoyed it & felt comfortable enough picking up the pace.

2 Likes

Youā€™re in great nick.

1 Like

A pal of mine who was in seriously good nick retired from playing LSL soccer. He had a touch of a banger on the sand section here about 10 years ago in his first go at a long distance run. Got a bad fright so he did.

Best of luck

2 Likes

Youā€™re a bad man. A very, very bad man. :grin:

1 Like

Itā€™s renowned for it ā€¦ A few people have gone down on it. Theyā€™ve a defibrillator close by.

1 Like

Youl be fine. He had fuck all distance training done