Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

I do, but meh.

Iā€™d say Limerick is a bit shit, the six mile race is great but you wouldnā€™t even know the marathon is going on,

@Bandage would spend the entire second half of the race being passed by half runners

1 Like

Looking at Strava @Bandage I entirely agree with @backinatracksuit
Youll finish it handy enough if you go steady.
Itā€™ll be great. Walk any steep uphill and equally important any steep downhill.

1 Like

If there was a choice Iā€™d tell him to hold off and do Dublin but will be difficult to get an entry as most will be carried over from 2020. Iā€™ve never ran a smaller marathon but I think Iā€™d find it difficult too.

Marathon is enough of a challenge without throwing in 1000m of climbing. With it being in April heā€™s going to have to drag himself out to the Dublin mountains or somewhere similar in the middle of winter for at least 3 or 4 two and a half or 3 hour training runs. That plus I donā€™t think he has done much hill running before. Iā€™m with @fenwaypark on this

3 Likes

Iā€™ve no doubt he could finish it but chances are heā€™ll be struggling for the last 10k. Heā€™s more than capable of breaking 3ā€™30 for a road marathon and possibly smashing it. I really donā€™t see any benefit to him doing a trail marathon at this stage.

2 Likes

I just thought he could have a bit of fun since itā€™s all booked, I suppose Iā€™d be pushed off but Iā€™d still do it in the circumstances, just treat it as a run/hike, do a lot of walking without beating myself up about it, and finish, in 5 hours of needs be.
But itā€™d be a good experience I think, save the marathon training for an Autumn race,

Since itā€™s booked and all like :man_shrugging::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a half option too which is challenging enough in my book. Heā€™ll be finished by 10PM and heā€™ll be able to go and enjoy his few pints. Thatā€™s what Iā€™d be doing anyway. It could take a month to get right after that marathon.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no need to be chasing a time. I just enjoy the day out whenever I do something.
Anyhow.

Very unsettling to see backseat drivers undermining the Coach here

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice, lads. The only thing booked so far is the actual race. No sunk costs for flights or accommodation so it might be wisest to switch to a new target race. Iā€™m due to meet my pals this evening and will add this item to the agenda under its own specific heading.

5 Likes

Itā€™s not the Barkley marathon.
He could have a grand day out wandering round it.

Yes but youā€™d struggle for the last 10k of anything (including a 10k). Thatā€™s just the way of anything.

I ran around Lisbon a few years back, itā€™s fair hilly.

If I was doing 1,000m climbed in 42km on the bike I would say thatā€™s a great bit of training done.

Steer clear Bandage, do Cork instead.

3 Likes

@Bandage #someshape

1 Like

@Bandage if you want to do that Lisbon marathon you need to be running over Howth head rather than turning around at the bottom of it!

1 Like

50kms since Wednesday morning @fenwaypark. Iā€™ll be asleep in the pub later.

@Mac I actually briefly considered the climb when I settled on a return jaunt to Howth. But I quickly put it to the back of my mind and moved on. Iā€™m very flaky but I think Iā€™ll target the Cork marathon. and I could maybe do the Wexford half marathon in April as part of the build up. A nod to both sides of my family.

3 Likes

I might be doing the Wexford half myself with a lad I work with. Itā€™s supposed to be a nice flattish course. You could do with easing off a bit over Xmas to give your body a break if your coach allows it.

2 Likes

@Bandage if you did want a bit of a taste of the hills this would be a lovely intro on your parents doorstep. IMRA membership is a tenner for the year and race entry usually 7 euro. Ridiculously cheap

https://imra.ie/events/view/id/2139

1 Like

@Mac they were advertising Wicklow (March) and Wexford (April) at the Clontarf half recently. Not fully au fait with all the regulatory bodies and other (un)authorised types that organise races but these 3 seem to fall under the same body/organiser. Talk was there is a new route in Wexford for April but still meant to be flat enough.

Havenā€™t been out in Forth Mountain in years - St Martinā€™s territory - but we used to cycle out as kids and play in a disused quarry. Think the council invested in it in recent years and there are a few different routes/walks now with proper trails and paving in places too. It was a staple for my auld pair during lockdowns to take walks out there. I donā€™t think running up mountains has captured my imagination yet, but Iā€™ll probably come around to it eventually.

Clontarf, Wicklow and Wexford are indeed organised by the same crowd. Theyā€™re part of a trilogy. The medal you get for finishing each one slots alongside the medals from the other 2 to form 1 big medal as I understand it.