Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll have enough going over Christmas to keep you busy!

1 Like

They loose responsiveness after 150 miles but are still decent. I gave a pair with nearly 500 miles on them and another new pair waiting to go

2 Likes

Anyone here a member of a running club?

Iā€™m probably completely losing the run of myself, but Iā€™m tempted to join Raheny Shamrock in the new year. Mainly to get the green & white singlet with the shamrock (naturally) and other gear. I know a few members but the thought of going to an organised training session and actually talking to people I donā€™t know that well terrifies me.

7 Likes

Start your own club

3 Likes

Iā€™m not. Iā€™m thinking of joining one up here too. There is one called the NERDs - North East Runners Dundalk. They do a bit of training in a local park a few nights a week. There is no track here. Glenmore, out on the peninsula, have a track and a lovely green and white singlet, but itā€™s too far to be going for a bit of training.

1 Like

@Wexford1996 is I think

2 Likes

100 percent the way to go. The group sessions will bring you on a tonne.

1 Like

I did a couple of sessions with a club in Limerick and it was good, but tje times (evenings) donā€™t suit me, I like being my own boss to be honest, I only do it because I enjoy it really

3 Likes

That stopped me aswell. I like the flexibilty of getting out when it suits.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what stopped me so far as well. Too early in evening. If I can make it work one evening a week Iā€™ll do it.

2 Likes

Presume clubs accept folk that canā€™t make every session? Think Raheny is such a big club they accommodate all ranges of ability and commitment.

I am, but you can dip in and out.
Be careful mate, thereā€™s only so much running a body can take imho.
Any running club Iā€™ve encountered has had a few turbos at the front end, and otherwise just normal healthy folk trying to help each other along. Youā€™re well able, but please be careful. Running, especially track too hard and often can banjax you.

1 Like

Thatā€™s it. Come and go as you please. Huge range of abilities. Great coaching and loads of advice.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been in a club for about 8 years. I was the same at first and the prospect was daunting but within a few weeks you get to know people. The group sessions are a big help and much easier to do some of the sessions with others than solo. Club Iā€™m in would be similar to Raheny in that youā€™d have loads of different levels of ability but easy to find a group at a similar pace to yourself. Everyone is welcoming and friendly.

Iā€™ve never been one to follow a plan and much prefer just doing the club session. If Iā€™m marathon training thereā€™d always be a few others planning one at the same time so weā€™d try to do tempos and long runs together. Thereā€™s a group of 5 or 6 at a similar level and age as myself so weā€™d be running together every week and head for a few drinks after races. Iā€™d definitely recommend it.

4 Likes

Were you in a club previously? You should join up and try get along every few weeks. We train in Nutgrove every Tuesday and Tymon every Saturday morning although I havenā€™t been making the sessions too much recently.

1 Like

Never in club but Joe tried to get me to go along to some of those sessions.

I always know if I can keep up with Joe Iā€™m going well. Thatā€™s despite him being 20 years older than me. Think heā€™s injured at the moment. Hasnā€™t been around last few Tuesdays Iā€™ve been down. You should definitely try get down in the new year. Youā€™re doing decent mileage at the moment. Planning a spring marathon?

1 Like

Ive signed up for one in June. Have a plan in my head. Touch wood, I can keep niggles at bay. Itā€™s a constant struggle.

3 Likes

Cork? I think Iā€™ll wait for Dublin. Would you try follow a structured plan?

1 Like

Yeah, never followed any plan. Self coached, I know what works for me. Just a matter of body playing ball.

1 Like