Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

No just walking around, I have a passage nearby that is 500m end to end so I’m using that rather than going on the road

Hon d’Lockes!

6 Likes

First 5k in three weeks and it was awful… 29.27… I’ll be doing 2/3 more like that before gearing up for my 5 timed runs. Must try and get back out in the morning time, I much prefer early runs.

3 Likes

What’s your target time?

Did 5x1km intervals earlier with a target pace of 4’30. And a recovery of around 90 seconds or 200 metres walking / slow jog. The first km which is all downhill was too fast but the next 3 were all about spot on. The last km was a struggle with roughly the right average but a mix of slow spots.

A hoor of an approach but I can feel the benefit of it. Anyone know any apps you can use for this? I don’t have a Garmin and Fitbit doesn’t have target pace functionality. any phone apps that can voice in your ear if you’re above or below target pace?

1 Like

Nike run club app I think does this

1 Like

Sub 28

I would say instead of doing 5 timed 5ks mix it up a bit.
Maybe do a 3k at a fast pace, do some intervals, and even a longer run.
Just mix it up a bit and only do two timed 5k runs.

Even if you just do the 5 runs I’d imagine you’ll comfortably get from 29 - 27.

1 Like

Doing 7-8 20 sec strides at end of an easy run would make a big difference.

Go to soccer pitch. Do 12 mins where you run diagonals hard and use perimeter for jog recovery.

1 Like

Yeah I want to do some interval running anyway so I’ll be mixing one of those runs when I can.

If I was doing 1ks, I’d normally take 2 mins recovery. It’ll make the last one a bit easier.

2 Likes

That’s a good shout. Trying to find a flattish route is another challenge.

1 Like

@Fran just posted a sub 20min 4km

:scream:

Ah there was a small break in the middle, I’m just trying to get used to running at that pace and maybe stretch it out over 5km

1 Like

That’s very good interval pace, try to jog the rest periods, don’t ask me the science but that’s the advice you’ll always hear

My current regime is completely unsuited to a fast 5k, I’ll wait till the month is nearly up and give myself a short break before hammering it out

1 Like

I find it very hard to maintain a pace. That was faster than I wanted to go. I was aiming for more 3:50 - 4:00 but if I pared back I was going to slow or sped up I was going too fast.

At the moment I’m going out 3 times a week, a fast run/intervals on Wednesday. Easy 8km run on a Friday. A good paced longer run on Sunday (10km - 12km). I probably need to put in an extra day of shorter stuff I want to do a fast 5k.

1 Like

Do some strides at end of easy run. 7 x 20 secs

What’s that? Just exaggerated strides for 20 secs?

Short and very fast but really think about how you look, what does a good runner look like, unless you’re an awkward looking old ape you’ll know what that means when you do it

like the campese acceleration