Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

I’ve a pair of running gloves that even on some of the coldest days on the trails, I’d often end up discarding after 2km.

In winter, I’d often wear a short sleeve base layer (have a decent Inov8 one) and a long sleeve running tee shirt. I’d sometimes even go with a light jacket as well. I find you need less clothes for road running as you’re moving at a steady pace, whereas if you slow down to a hike on a trail or get up high, you can get cold very quickly.

1 Like

I’m warm blooded I’d say,
I only ever wear a base layer if I’m going out in the rain and that’s just to save my poor nipples

Baselayer and long sleeved top in the winter, short sleeved running top in the spring/summer/autumn, vest on the really hot days. Tights in very cold and wet weather, shorts otherwise.

Compression socks, yay or nay?

I’ve the calf sleeves or whatever you called them. I used them in a hill race or two (26km approx) before and felt it prevented a bit of cramping. I used them in my bank holiday trail marathon and actually cramped a lot earlier than my training efforts (I did go in sick) where I didn’t wear them so I just don’t know. Some people swear by them, others just think they’re a placebo

1 Like

PS I know a lad who runs with a pair of boxer shorts on under his running shorts.

A friend of mine and @Thomas_Brady ran a few half marathons with woven boxers underneath GAA shorts and a pair of Asics with a large enough hole on them.

What I’m saying is different things work for different people.

3 Likes

If you need a hot water bottle going to bed on a cold night then you might need to wear tights,

Your pal would have had a better half marathon experience with the right gear @caulifloweredneanderthal, he might deny that but that’s human nature

You might be right there. I’d sleep with a pair of jocks on all year round and nothing else. If I’ve a good night, I sleep with nothing at all.

I’d never have a hot water bottle or electric blanket

I have skins, and bluebell. Both good.
For chafing, seriously, use metanium nappy rash cream.
Brilliant for the bike and for chafed feet also.

2 Likes

This is good stuff @Thomas_Brady

Also, your legs might be too fat

1 Like

:smiley:

are those scrote antiperspirants any good?

I’ve used that a few times for longer runs and no bother.

Lynx Africa?

:face_vomiting:

i was a lynx musk man back then

@Wexford1996 what recovery did you take between those 400s. Blinding pace

Think it was about 75 seconds. Was just walking back to my starting point. Last 3 or 4 were under 80 so getting there. Might do a 5k timetrial in the next few weeks.

4 Likes

You are sub 18 easy judging by that

Well done bud. You’ll easily do 10k in the time it takes me to do 5 :blush:

I wouldn’t think so at the moment. Maybe in another month. I got down to about 17’40 last summer but still a good bit off where I was then.

You will. Even when I was fying fit, I never did 400s that quick.

1 Like

What are 400s?