Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

nope, only joined a club 3 or 4 years ago. He does do national comps now alright and is aiming for national over 35 teams, albeit will be eligible for the over 40s later this year. 3.16 pace. I doubt Iā€™d get that in an all out sprint for 100m.

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sickening bastards.

Youā€™d have to be really minding diet, hydration, strength work and flexibility to be able to consistently run like that.

I see @fenwaypark has got in on the mindgames with a 10k ā€˜tempoā€™ run at a ridiculously fast pace. The teachers definitely making use of the midterm break today by the looks of things

6 Likes

absolutely.

As @mac says, above, heā€™s obviously a teacher too.

Heā€™s a serious athlete, I assume heā€™s looking after himself in diet and conditioning etc?

Heā€™s won just about every parkrun I ever entered

And yes, thereā€™s not many 40 year olds could reach 3:16 in an all out sprint

Youā€™d have to spend serious time every day looking after some aspect of your conditioning

yeah heā€™d be good, but wouldnt be a complete arse or anything or on fad diets eating his own stuff whilst others eat theirs. Nothing outrageous that wouldnt be manageable. Still goes out and has pints if we were out. He had the Mungret course record at one stage alright and the one in New Ross too, maybe still does. For an auld cunt, its fair going.

Main thing Iā€™d see is he does a shit load of runs. Is always out doing a few kms every day. Being in a club helps too Iā€™d imagine.

When all this shite is behind us, we should organise a TFK 5km race in fair Fingal.

@Rocko and @Bandage could organise a TFK summer jamboree for afterwards. @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy could advise posters on best travel options to event/ ways to offset their carbon footprint. 20 quid a man with all the money going to our friends in Cambodia (cc @RaymondCrotty). Iā€™ll buy the medals.

4 Likes

Imagine the step up to lads and lasses running the European indoors in a few weeks.

Super human stuff what they can do.

A Cork 19 year old went under 14 mins for 5k last year.

Whatā€™s the 5k world record, 13 mins odd? Twice as fast as it takes me to do 5k

12ā€™35

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So what it takes me to do 2k or there abouts.

I look forward to the slow incline challenge in April.

Iā€™d rather run a marathon than cycle 200k

@Garda_Sean_Horgan will do the name badges

2 Likes

Itā€™s bonkers fast. Easiest way to understand it is get on a treadmill. They top out at about 18km:h. These lads are running faster.

1 Like

@Thomas_Brady getting my 6 x 400ms ā€˜warm upā€™ done at lunch.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a new 400m running path after opening within my 5km limit. I must get up
there. I used to run in the 50s for 400m as a young lad šŸ„² Iā€™ll do well to break 2 minute now

1 Like

If @Thomas_Brady wants he should head down to Hop Island and onto Passage on the Greenway and there is a mile that is marked out in 400m sections. Very handy.

The National Sports Campus In Abbotstown has a cross country course and outdoor running path with similar markings which is what I used today.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen the likes of Ian Oā€™Riordan in the Irish Times express bemusement at the lack of public interest in elite athletics nationally and internationally, compared to folk being very keen on the likes of what weā€™re doing. He likened it to people having no interest in Champions League, World Cups and European Championships but being obsessed with their local, social 5-a-side football league. I guess thereā€™s room for either, both or a combination though.

1 Like