Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

O’Riordan is a weird bastard. I saw him out of his mind at a Fontaine’s DC gig in vicar st a few years ago.

1 Like

Athletics has traditionally been very poor at marketing itself.

The big championships are good and watched as they are races rather than time trials using pacemakers chasing fast times. No drama in that. There’s drama in a race.

No reason there should not be races each Friday night on TV but it needs a Barry Hearn type to promote to the masses.

2 Likes

Elite middle and long distance running is as dramatic as sports gets, how amazing it would be to have Irish competing there like we used to

2 Likes

Nadia Power is at moment. It’s just the races are live on YouTube and not on TV so only the real enthusiast exposed to them.

Indoor running is fantastic spectator sport where running is a contact sport.

The shoes they are all wearing now are driving really fast times too.

1 Like

Hadn’t seen your post and actually just did this … Only did 4k , lovely and flat. Did 20.40… which was 44 seconds faster than my 4k yesterday which had a few inclines. I’ll be doing my 5k on this evening’s course.

8 Likes

That’s a fast time mate. Fair play.

I don’t think normal athletics meets outside Olympics/World/European Championships are ever going to be that popular but I’ve made this point before about the LOI.

The best way to get some buzz about a sport is to just have it on at a specific time on a specific day on free TV every week so that people know that if they’re sitting down on the couch at that particular time it will be on. If there was an LOI match on RTE every single Friday night during the season there would be a lot more interest in it IMO.

2 Likes

Didn’t the Golden League try and not really succeed because the sport started to be dictated by money rather than the best athletes being there? And you had random Kenyans and Ethiopians running for the likes of Bahrain and Brunei and making a mockery of the international championships.

And thats all before you realise half of them are all PED’ed out of their brains.

I’ll have to slow a tad for first K and I’ll be good to go.

1 Like

I’ve given that 4/5th of a like

4 Likes

I think you can go under 25 mins mate on that route.

Doubtful pal… Maybe in a couple of months. It was only 3 weeks ago I was going 29 minutes

I believed in you then and I believe in you now.
You can do it.

Athletics meets were on a fair bit on RTE in the 90s era of Sonia, Michael Johnson, Morceli and El Guerooj. At the time it would be the only sport broadcast in summer outside of GAA and Equestrian sports

It fell away in popularity once Sonia left the scene.

Your kind words will be noted in my memoir.

I also believe you can go sub 25 minutes. You’re inspirational.

1 Like

Your mind games will also be noted.

2 Likes

You should aim for 25 next weekend, keep up the handy stuff and just do very short and quick runs for two days before your assault.

I’ve treated myself to a couple of beers for some reason, will be able to do a handy 12-15k tomorrow and enjoy it

6 Likes

Had the pilsner last week
… not bad

Woof!!