Long Live the king

Stokes has taken the banner down after a court case today. Auctioning it off for charity at the weekend.

Bullshit freedom of speech in this country.

Really? :frowning:

Thought the banner was infantile but I’m shocked they had to take it down. I feel some sympathy for Rocko et al here, the right to protest should be fundamental. I assume they got them with some planning law or something. It reminds me very much of the disturbing case of the Cowen paintings in the National Gallery where Gestapo-style tactics were deployed after a harmless gag. If the paintings were of Bandage would a Garda investigation have ensued? Would it fuck. Same here, if that banner was banning gingers it would still be up. This country sickens me with its double standards sometimes.

Yes really. I pass this fine establishment every morning and can confirm this image to have been Photoshopped.

It was a poor photoshop at that, what does no “foreigns” mean anyway? Presume it was meant to say foreigners.

The banner was pathetic but they should have been allowed to stay up. They got Mick Wallace with the same thing back when he was rolling in cash and had his anti-war posters on his building sites.

I wasnt crediting them with any form of education though.

Don’t be fooled. The English have been severely chastened by these events.

Indeed, this must be right up there with the surrender of Singapore.

The worst thing about that was the crushing blow Atty Percival endured when he opened the letter from Tom Barry. He must have been raging.

Readers of The Sun and Daily Star in the UK were reportedly seething. Well played, Mr Stokes.

Tell me more. This sounds great.

After Percival surrendered Singapore to the Japanese Tom Barry sent him a letter offering his commiserations. He mentions it in Guerilla Days in Ireland. There’s no mention of how Percival received his sentiments.

T-Shirts available behind the bar for €12:

Promotional t-shirts and the hunger strikes :clap:

Republicanism has come full circle.

Great to see some GAA men getting the chance to meet the Queen. I imagine Eoin Kelly and Bernard Brogan will both jump at this opportunity as they did they chance to meet Barack.

Once she gives the place the once over, she’ll decide whether she wants to take us.

State visit restrictions outlined

CONOR LALLY, Crime Correspondent

Gardaí have announced road closures and traffic restrictions as part of the security operation for the visit of the Queen Elizabeth to Cork and Tipperary next week.

While the visit to both counties does not take place until next Friday, some of the security related traffic restrictions are being put in place from Monday.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said today he hoped members of the public would not be inconvenienced by the traffic and parking restrictions planned for both the visit of the Queen and US president Barack Obama.

However, the Garda had a duty to put in place an adequate security operation for both visits. He said all of the restrictions were being publicised well in advance of the visits.

"I hope people will understand that this is necessary, but also on the understanding that this is a brilliant opportunity to present Ireland as the kind of people we are,” said Mr Kenny. “I know the Irish people have been very understanding on occasions in the past when President Reagan and President Clinton were here.”

In Co Tipperary, where the Queen will visit the Rock of Cashel, traffic flow restrictions on the M8 are being put in place from next Monday until next Friday.

Both carriageways will be reduced to one lane. Vehicles must reduce their speed below 100kmph on a 10km stretch from just north of junction 7 to just south of junction 8.

Next Thursday evening, the only access to Cashel will be from junction 9 of the M8, as all other exits will be closed.

Between 6pm next Thursday and noon the following day, gardai will place a cordon around Cashel, effectively sealing off the town.

Only those with valid passes, such as local residents and business owners, will be allowed through the 7km outer cordon around the town. There will be no access via a shorter inner cordon.

Cordons will also be placed from Thursday evening until noon on Friday around Fethard and Killenaule, although gardai have said business will continue as normal in those places.

On Friday afternoon the Queen moves on to Cork, where major traffic restrictions will be put in place in a bid by gardai to shore up security.

From 10am many streets in the city centre will be closed but other routes around the city will remain open for motorists.

The city centre areas to be closed from 10am next Friday include: South Link Road inbound, Station Rd, Anglesea St, South Mall, Grand Parade, Patrick St, Academy St, Washington St, Sheares St and Dyke Parade.

No parking will be allowed in those areas from 6pm on Thursday.

Many of the streets in Cork city centre will see crowd control barriers erected and while pedestrians will be able to move about unimpeded they will only be permitted to cross roads at designated crossing points.

However, there will be no pedestrian access on some city centre streets next Friday between noon and 4pm.

These include: Princess St Upper; junction of Oliver Plunkett St and Patrick St; St Augustine St to Tuckey St; junction of Tuckey St and Grand Parade to Electric Bar South Mall; Washington St; junction of Grand Parade to South Main St.

During the four days of the Queen’s visit, between May 17th and 20th, the N7, N4 and M50 will be completely closed at times. Dublin Zoo will be closed on May 17th and 23rd.

Some lad was arrested yesterday for taking photos in the garden of rememberance… This is fooking ridiculous.

Morrissey says the Queen should give six counties back to Ireland

16 May 2011

With the visit of Queen Elizabeth to Ireland due to begin tomorrow, Tuesday May 17, the Lancashire born singer, songwriter and performer Steven Patrick Morrissey has written an article for Hot Press, which challenges in trenchant terms the appropriateness of welcoming the British monarch to Ireland

Morrissey, both of whose parents are Irish, dismisses the four-day visit as part of a new palace PR campaign to re-invent the Windsors. However, while Morrissey’s opposition to the Royals is well known, there is a political dimension to his latest missive which will no doubt cause fury among the UK establishment – and find considerable resonance among Irish republicans.

“As recently as the turn of the 1980s,” Morrissey says in the article, “the Queen supported Margaret Thatcher by not dismissing Thatcher as she allowed hunger strikers to die at the Maze Prison, most famously Bobby Sands, who was 27 years old.”

Morrissey suggests that the Queen’s silence at the time makes her culpable for Sands’ death - and for those of the other hunger strikers.

“As Sands starved to death,” he charges, “in protest at being tagged a ‘criminal’ and not a ‘political prisoner’ by the Thatcher government, the Queen sat in her Palace and said nothing.”

While there are other fascinating aspects to what Morrissey has to say in his Hot Press polemic, the views he advances on the Irish political dimension are sure to raise the hackles of conservatives in both Britain and Ireland.

“The Queen also has the power to give back the six counties to the Irish people,” he argues, “allowing Ireland to be a nation once again. The fact that she has not done so is Fascism in full flow.”

The full article appears in the issue of Hot Press which hits the streets this Thursday, May 19.

I have a feeling something major is going to happen during her visit.
Most likely not aimed directly at the queen herself, but either in the North or the UK mainland.