Macedonia v Ireland - European Championship Qualifier

Shane Ferguson, formerly of Derry City and now of Newcatle United has blanked continued attempts for a competitive Northern Ireland call up. He played a friendly before, but am pretty sure that doesnt stamp him. Is he any use?

Gave Marc Wilson the runaround a while back. Skillful left winger but tiny.

Gibson deserves a lot of credit for starting the flood. Though if I recall correctly Kerr had poached a few for those underage teams years back. A Crossley lad from Belfast was involved I think.

Anyone of a green hue involved with their senior team these days? Baird, Hughes, Davis would add to us anyway. Not sure what McCartney is at these days. Trap would probably give Lafferty chances too.

Hardly poached KIB! Situation we should be aiming for anyway is those of all political persuasions play for an All Ireland Team like the vast majority of other sports.

Doyle is out of the game now anyway.

Big time. About 10 people I’d say holding it back. 5 suits in Belfast and 5 in Dublin who are worried about their jobs. They should try organise an All Irish side for a friendly like they did back in the day. Might get a bit of movement behind it.

Big time. About 10 people I’d say holding it back. 5 suits in Belfast and 5 in Dublin who are worried about their jobs. They should try organise an All Irish side for a friendly like they did back in the day. Might get a bit of movement behind it.

A recurrence of Doyle’s knee injury, is it?

I would go with:

Given,
Foley, O’Shea, St Ledger, Kilbane,
Coleman, Gibson, Whelan, McGeady,
Keane, Long.

Kilbane fairly shite tonight and should’ve been sent off. Gone to penalties now. Fucking difficult to watch.

Kilbane calmly drilled his penalty home but will now miss the Carling Nations Cup games as he has a play-off final at Old Trafford.

I thought St.Ledger was injured?

Fahey will get the nod ahead of Coleman unless Coleman really pulls up some trees in the friendlies. Hunt is a decent option off the bench and Id expect him to see gametime in Macedonia.

Wilson will surely get a chance at full back in the friendlies. If he does well Kilbane might maybe move into centre (if St Ledger is out) or possibly out of the side altogether.

It’s a bit of a joke that Delap isnt in the squad really. I know he is no world beater but would be an option to come in centrally to stiffen things up in the midfield and has a bit of presence about him. Plus he plays alongside Whelan in that position at club level. McCarthy is nowhere near ready for that role and both Andrews and Green are out.

Celtic’s Ger Crossley that was, later of Galway United.

Sammy Clingan is a massive Celtic fan from the Falls Road, unusual first name for somebody from the Falls.

He sure did. He’s still a legend. :smiley: He’ll be rightly knackered by the time the Macedonia game rolls around, mind you.

Ciaran Clark seems to be ruled out of the squad now despite being fit enough to sit on the Villa bench yesterday.

Is there a thread for our big derby game?

ireland XI v NI: given, mcshane, kelly, delaney, wilson, coleman or lawrence, andrews, fahey or foley, treacy, keane, cox

Christ, that is one weak team. Wonder why Hunt isn’t considered. Presume he’s in the squad?

Rumours now that James McCarthy is out too.

We’re properly fucked if anyone half decent gets injured in the Nations Cup games before Macedonia. We also have O’Shea, McGeady, Kilbane and Long still tied up with their clubs.

McCarthy hasn’t shown and has failed to answer calls. Stokes has pulled out cause he is tired. Poor form from him.

Maccarthy you cunt

St Ledger is now out of the squad. That leaves O’Dea (probably #1 now), O’Shea (now needed in the centre) and Delaney as the natural centre backs in the squad with McShane and Kelly “capable” of playing there. O’Dea hasn’t played in a while either and will need to see some action against Scotland on Sunday (the team on the day, not the newspaper) to prove his fitness. Far from ideal.