Major Boosts to the Irish Economy

I believe so. They also factor in the financial implications of Brexit but Philip Browne couldn’t expand on quite how exactly and Sharon kindly changed the line of questioning.

1 Like

Philip is a good few steps removed from the data crunching I’d imagine. Magnificent ambition nonetheless

Sharon flicked the hair at BOD and everything there, she was practically giggling.

Did you apply the same scrutiny here?

1 Like

That isn’t costing us a cent you ape, so it doesn’t matter a fuck whether it generates the €100m or not

Geez, pal. You’re very defensive altogether. I set up this thread to document all major boosts to the Irish economy - I don’t discriminate and I invite everyone to partake in it. I’m sure football events have been mentioned previously.

Brexit wasn’t even a consideration in David Cameron’s mind when the Euro 2020 venues were announced by the way so it wasn’t part of the discussion back then naturally enough. I only mentioned it here as it specifically came up in the Six One interview and Philip Browne fumbled over his answer somewhat.

What main implications of Brexit in relation to this? Freedom of movement through UK? Or just general economic country could be broke soon again we can’t afford it etc?

100m seems somewhat on the low side of costs does it not? Don’t get me wrong it’s a lot of money but it’s not off the wall …health probably overruns it’s budget by that much on monthly basis

I’d say the reduction of VAT to hospitality sector costs at least 100 m a year as it is…recoup if from these gouging fucker for starters

I don’t know, mate. I was describing the to and fro of the interview rather than making any claims myself.

It’d be a way more than €100m. €115m is just to buy the rights to the tournament off the IRB

With the 120 m (stg) your not buying the rights your basically underwriting the ticket sales is my understanding of it…pay a fraction up front and rest afterwards. That fee is split between NI and Irish governments…not sure of split

I think I’d read before that total cost estimated at approx 300m including the 120 m above…assume a fair chunk is recovered through ticket sales e.g. I think 90% of cost of 2011 in NZ was recovered from ticket sales.

Reporting of costs of it was non existent today really

It depends on how you attribute costs I suppose. Pairc ui Chaoimh’s cost won’t be part of it, though some of that was obviously with a view to the rugby. Same as renovations to Casement.
At least they aren’t proposing to build anywhere, we’ve enough empty stadiums around.

oooft

that will shut up the yankee for a while

Be far better off spending it on the trains.

Nice boost for Galway

1 Like

We really need a web summit thread at this stage.

Nice description of Cosgrave and his besties:

You look at what a tool does, how it interacts with other tools

Web Summit is a grand exposition of all these new tools

6 Likes

Its a little pompous and wordy, but it is a decent enough take down. Needed an editor.

Was there no editing bot on display at Web Summit that could have done the job?

1 Like

That’s a bit bleak, and a bit sad.

1 Like

We’ve settled on €50m for hosting 4 games in Euro 2020.