Manchester United 2022/23 - The Reign of ETH

Had SSN on in the background last evening, they went to Old Trafford to get the opinions of local supporters. First up, chap with a Dublin accentā€¦ maybe heā€™s working over there and happened to be walking by wearing his MUFC* scarf.

*Is it even a Football Club anymore?

Iā€™d love for Ronaldo to have a great World Cup.

The Portuguese had a go at Rooney and Neville for their criticisms of him but only had positive things to say about another pair of Red Devils legends ā€“ Keane and Rio Ferdinand, who have given him support over the past year.

He said: ā€œIt means a lot because theyā€¦ I was in the dressing room with them. They are part of my journey in football as well.

ā€œAs I mentioned many times, Roy Keane for me was my best captain ever.

ā€œRio Ferdinand helped me a lot. He was my neighbour, I was his neighbour. So very, very good guys.ā€™

Keane was his best ever captain, Rio gave him a lend of his strimmer :smile:

2 Likes

It actually probably couldnā€™t have worked out better for ETH. If he sold him in the summer there would have been a lot grumblings and added pressure on him.

Everyone was predicating Ronaldo would make it impossible to do his job and heā€™d win between the two but ETH has won and itā€™s completely united the fan base and probably the squad too.

Without two years of Roy keanes exit man united won the first of three league titles in a row and won the champions league in three years.

3 Likes

This reply is genius!

Jesus Christ now that you outline it like that itā€™s fairly clear Ten Hag is a genius.

Heā€™s played this like a Grand Master

This is Portugals Saipan. And united are in the thick of it again.

A gas man

a backtrack of epic proportions. He should join TFK

Iā€™ve always had a grudging respect for Manchester United fans since I watched Arsenal win the Premiership in 2002 at Old Trafford and 3,000 of them stayed behind in the stadium for an hour after the game to applaud our players as they came back out to celebrate.

It was a stunning display of sportsmanship matched only, perhaps, by the standing ovation they gave the Brazilian Ronaldo when he scored that scintillating hat-trick against them for Real Madrid in the Champions League.

United fans, the real ones who live in Manchester (you can spot them easily - no suntan) know their football, and have a proper respect for the game.

Which makes it all the more inexplicable why they decided to cheer the Portuguese Ronaldoā€™s name so vociferously when he came on as a substitute against Villarreal on Wednesday night.

I could barely believe my ears as the deafening roar engulfed the stadium. It was like watching Judas Iscariot popping back to visit the other disciples after betraying Jesus and getting a resounding clap for his work. Or Kim Philby touring through London in an open-top bus after defecting to the Soviet Union and millions of us pouring into the streets to pay ticker tape homage to the great man.

Sir Alex Ferguson said afterwards: ā€˜The crowd reaction was important to Cristiano. It made him realise what a great club he is at and how loyal those fans are to him. Cristiano has shown great loyalty in five years.ā€™

Now, I donā€™t blame Fergie at all for supporting his star striker, because if he hadnā€™t worked all his cunning Glaswegian magic to persuade him to stay, then United wouldnā€™t have a chance of defending the Champions League this season. But why, exactly, were United fans so desperately keen to forgive and forget the treacherous little toad?

This was the same Cristiano Ronaldo who spent the whole summer begging Real Madrid to take him away from United, talking insultingly of wanting to join a ā€˜big clubā€™ and fulfilling his ā€˜dreamā€™. He repeatedly, and very publicly, made his desire to quit very obvious - ruining the entire holiday period for every United fan. And by doing so he revealed a stunning thoughtlessness for the fans who had shouted his name in adoration for five years. Yes, Ronaldoā€™s a fantastic player, probably the best in the world - though Messi, for me, still has the edge. And yes, I would love to have him at Arsenal. Of course I would, he would grace any side with his incredible talent.

But heā€™s also a serial diving cheat, heā€™s so self-obsessed he looked like he was going to burst into tears when he missed out on the 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year award and heā€™s got form for wanting to quit his club. After the 2006 World Cup, when he grotesquely winked after getting Wayne Rooney sent off, Ronaldo said he wanted to ā€˜get out of Manchester as the circumstances are not right to keep playing thereā€™.

There are, I politely suggest, few more egocentric, prima donna, spoiled brat show ponies in the entire world of football than young Cristiano. But arrogance is no bad thing in a footballer and I donā€™t hold that against him. What IS a bad thing is disloyalty and when it comes to that he really is the best in the world.

When he came on against Villarreal, United fans should have expressed their fury at the way he had played so cruelly with their feelings by giving him a loud, collective boo.

It only had to be once, and then they could have gone on to cheer him as much as they liked. But Ronaldo should have been made to suffer a moment of real, heartfelt misery to make up for his appalling behaviour in the summer break.

Iā€™d like to have seen his permanently smirking, pimpled face temporarily frozen in horror as the Old Trafford faithful let him know what they really thought of his adulterous fling with Real Madrid. Just as Arsenal fans booed Emmanuel Adebayor for his first few matches this season to punish him for his own outrageous flirting with everyone from Barcelona to AC Milan.

Instead, United fans greeted him like a conquering hero. And I found that bitterly disappointing.

1 Like

A proper Red Devils fan.

Paddy Footix needs to take a rest now. Weā€™re on a mid season break until after the World Cup. Back on Boxing Day. Itā€™s time for Paddy to switch from slavish devotion to his English club of choice to barracking and cheering against the England national team.

1 Like

Shur most of them were from north london

2 Likes

The game v Fulham was as good as a home game.

Thatā€™s an incredible filleting. Canā€™t imagine Ronaldo knows about it surely given how touchy he is??

And Antony, Martinez, Haller, Gravenberch

3 Likes

Ajax be grand. Theyā€™ll regenerate from within as they always do. Jesus when you think back to that side of Kluivert, Overmars, Seedorff, Davids, Kanu, Blind, Litmanaen, George, Reizeger, de Boers, et al. Will we ever see the likes of it again.

Mitten speaking sense yet again.

Is Mitten not a united mouthpiece?

Heā€™s editor/founder of United we Stand fanzine. No, not a mouthpiece, he comes out against United when itā€™s needed.