Manchester United 21/22

I find it very odd the lack of time Liverpool fans have for Rodgers. Developed Suarez, countinho and Sterling. Liverpool made massive money off their transfers.

He took over a serious mess from Kenny daglish and Roy hodgson too it shouldn’t be forgotten.

I don’t recall making him any major big money signings the club were lumbered with for years either.

If it wasn’t for Gerrard slipping he’d have won the league too.

Yeah he’s great bud, go for it.

All things considered he done a decent job. Maybe it’s because he’s Irish he’s hated Or something.

Ah he’s alright to be fair jokes aside. But he talks some shite too, bit of a spoofer.

He signed more dude than hits but I wouldn’t put the blame for that on him:
Markovic
Balotelli
Bornini
Benteke
Moreno etc.

He’s a good, good manager. Would do well at United. Would get them champs league football.

1 Like

Perfect for the bankers over United.

From my memory they weren’t massive money signings but I’m open to correction on that. Most managers will sign a few duds.

Benteke was the second most expensive signing for the club at that time. Markovic cost 20m (big money in 2014) and ended up leaving on a free.

united are a top top sacking club.

Fair enough. I wouldn’t take Rodgers anyway he’s too safe and boring.

I’d go for Graeme potter.

Potter would be an excellent appointment.

That would be the ballsy move

He spent well over €100 million (most of it funded by the sale of Luis Suarez) on absolute dross. Emre Can was the only decent signing in the summer of 2014. Players like Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto we’re successful at other clubs afterwards but Rodgers didn’t know what to do with them. A decent manager but the 2nd place season was definitely an outlier sandwiched between 7th and 6th placed finishes. He left the club in 10th too.

He had a horrendous record in Europe with Liverpool. Didn’t make it out of the champions league group containing Basle and Ludogorets. He failed to win a single knockout tie in Europe too. Liverpool pride themselves on their record in Europe.

Overall I liked him but Klopp was a big upgrade. About 5 of Rodgers 30+ signings were a success (Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Milner and Firmino)

Was Rodgers solely responsible for the signings ? Klopp didn’t want to sign salah at the time. He wanted some guy from Germany.

Sometimes you’ve to let it all hang lose.

Nope there was a transfer committee which I think may have been spearheaded by Michael Edwards who’s gone from strength to strength since 2015. All talk of transfer committees stopped upon Klopp’s arrival. Ultimately Klopp is a better manager who develops players more effectively than Rodgers. Not sure the likes of a Robertson, Salah or Jota would have been successful under Rodgers.

Rodgers is a decent manager though. To paraphrase Fergie “He’s just not a top top top manager”.

In fairness he done well with Sterling and Suarez too. Sturridge played his best football under him too.

Yeah finishing 2nd with that Liverpool team was a fine achievement. Suarez goal scoring stats improved immeasurably under him. Decent manager who seems to have great surges of momentum where his teams look magnificent. The problem is when they lose that momentum. Great man cycling downhill with the wind at his back.

In fairness he also tried to sign Salah in January 2014.

He’d have been a grand appointment for Arsenal in 2019/20 or Spurs during the summer but he’s not quite at Man Utd’s level of expectation I’d say.

Poch is the man according to the bald fraud

Oles bag is full of fifties.

6 Likes