Manchester United 21/22

Everton haven’t finished in the top 6 since Roberto Martinez first season in 2013/14 so yes I would say it is a decent achievement.

It isn’t really. There’s fuck all difference between 16 and 6th. It means nothing. If he won a league with Everton or challenged for a title you could say something.

He’s a grand manger if you want to finish 6th.

Did moyes even manage a token cup with Everton? They got into the CL once I think and got bait in the prelims.

Moyes was one of the most experienced, if not the most experienced manager in the EPL when Sir Alex stepped down, the perfect candidate. Everton are a big club. They’d two more league titles won than Man U when Sky invented soccer in 1992.

The EPL was all about a handful of elite super franchises. Man U initially and then the likes of state owned Chelsea and Citeh bankrolled by brutal murdering dictatorships. If Moysie was given the chance at any of those super franchises, he’d have had a bulging trophy cabinet.

2 Likes

Sure that’s Pure waffle Jeff.

I’d agree with you in a way that an ambitious club looking to break into the top 6 is his level alright. But finishing top 6 is a route into the Europa League, win that and you’re a Champions League club. That’s the incentive for the likes of West Ham these days. Huge difference between finishing 6th and 16th in this day and age. You don’t even need 40 points to sneak into 16th whereas you could be 65 points upwards in 6th.

I don’t think things would have worked out for him at Man Utd even if he was given longer but it’s nice to see he has his mojo back at West Ham after ill-fated stints with Sunderland and Real Sociedad. He’s found his level again.

Wumming aside, Moyesie still had a midtable club mentality and the Jagielka anecdote was seen as evidence he wanted dog of war defending in a low block instead of front foot defending that Ferdinand et al were used to in a team dominating the ball. Early in the tenure he was describing a draw away at Cardiff as a good point while Ferguson would have seen that as a defeat.

I just think people seriously over rate stuff like getting sixth place. Getting a club like Everton 60 odd points isn’t much of an achievement at all. He never won a cup and don’t think they done much in the UEFA cup either.

Chelsea have won the most trophies both domestically and in Europe since the Russian state started bank rolling them 17 or 18 years ago.

They’ve had something like 15 managers in that 17/18 year period. Regardless of who’s at the helm, they just keep winning because bar Citeh over the last 10 years, they can outspend everyone. Even a managerial no mark like Roberto Di Matteo managed to lift a European Cup and Avram Grant was just John Terry slipping on his arse away from emulating that feat.

4 Likes

They’ve won the majority of those trophies under very good managers. Jose, big Phil who won a World Cup, tuchel is highly rated, Carlo was a great manger and conte too.

Big Phil won nothing at Chelsea and was run out of the place after about 7 months.

I thought he won a league tbf. During that time though the role of the manager has changed. Managers have way less power than before. They aren’t even really in charge of transfers. So it’s much easier now to change a manager if you’ve got a good squad which Chelsea have had.

He did a decent job at Everton but I’d agree with you that he was fortunate to be given the top job at Man Utd. Overachieving with the likes of a West Ham is his level I think. The only two viable options I see right now for the job would be Poch or Ten Haag.

He didn’t really achieve a whole pile at Everton. Just a little above average.

Yes. Ferdinand and Vidic had been playing in the most successful defence for the previous ten years in the EPL and Jagielka was playing in Everton that once during that time qualified for the Champions League and exited following their first clash.

Do you think that they had something to learn from that video?

For a club that are 4th on the English Football League Roll of Honour, 6th should be disappointing alright

Moysie never won a Cup? He’s in good company there so in the Sky Sports Super Sunday era. Klopp and Pochettino never won a domestic Cup either. The template for Cup competitions for over 20 years now is you field your reserves, duck out of the Cup as quickly as you can as it’s only League places that matter. Man U didn’t even bother entering the FA Cup in 2000. If the reserves manage to get you to a semi final, maybe have a crack at winning it then.

The only sides that have won Cups regularly in the EPL era are Citeh, Chelsea, Man U and Woolwich. The elite coterie of Super franchises with huge playing rosters.

1 Like

Everton were perennial relegation candidates for the bones of a decade before Moyes took over. He did more than an above average job there

1 Like

The fact they haven’t finished in the top 6 for almost 8 years now would support this theory too. Carlo and Rafa haven’t found it that easy there with more lavish funds than Moyes ever had.

1 Like

He didn’t really he achieved nothing of note.