Marian Finucane's South Dublin Coffee Morning - Official Thread

Oirish Loife

And fingers providing 100% mortgages for same

great stuff - her interview in 2016 with Lord Norman Tebbitt ( whose that lying on the seaside , etc for the lads who are into the songs…) was executed (pardon the pun) under some of those conditions when he was telling her ireland should also leave the EU

https://twitter.com/helenorahilly/status/1212874990766481409?s=21

TNH

1 Like

In fairness when they moved her to the weekends everyone thought that was her career basically over. RTÉ never did much at the weekends and she did bring in a lot of listeners.

1 Like

I stand over the final two sentences of this post. The first three were clearly written by some other poster.

Finucane was superb on mental health. When I lived in Ireland she often had guests on like Maureen Gaffney and Tony Bates. She listened well and responded to interviewee rather than rattling off predetermined questions. Mental health is not just merely about ‘talking more.’ Quality of that talk matters hugely. Finucane was better than any other broadcaster on the topic imo.

5 Likes

agreed Raymond. it makes the moderators failure to distance themselves from comments attributed to their closed chat group even more galling. easy to fire off a quick whats app message for cheap laughs in a closed group, but standing behind these comments on the forum appears to be a different matter. moderators on 6 figure salaries taking pot shots at deceased broadcasting trailblazers would shock me but that i read bandages comments on the late Gay Byrne.
May she Rest in Peace.

4 Likes

Marian according to RTÉ chair Moya Doherty (who in fairness to her did very well out of RTÉ) was another who held up “a mirror to the nation” with her unique interviewing style. I struggle to remember a single interview that she did.

3 Likes

I remember hearing the nuala ò faolàin one. It was very moving alright. I liked her a lot. Mrs J was a big fan and podcasted her show most weeks.

2 Likes

Doireann Ní Bhriain on the 9 o clock news last night giving her a glowing eulogy also. Another who has creamed it for nearly half a decade from RTE.

1 Like

I listened to a few minutes of that and I just heard her concurring away when Peterson was waffling on about single mothers and mixing up cause and effect. She didn’t seem to mop the floor with him at all.

1 Like

Would you say she was “nodding her head in agreement”?

2 Likes

Would you stop, the eulogizing that goes on after famous people die in Ireland is what’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

To be fair, I think the interview lasted about 41 minutes, not 3

Who will hold up a mirror to Dublin 4 and Dublin 6 on Sunday mornings now?

That’s what happens when you die, people tend to shine a light on the good that you did, I’d say Marian did plenty, TFK was cutting her down within minutes, super edgy stuff

I always felt she was good on the radio, I suppose the fact that she had buried a small child was often at the back of my mind, she was certainly not a bad sort as some would have you think
Why would you feel the need to have a hop off somebody in the hours after their death?

2 Likes

It’s a little tradition of mine to leave RTE one playing on the kitchen radio here on weekends. The wife disliked Marian immensely, thought she was an awful whinger. She feels bad about it today said she just wanted her to retire, not die.

4 Likes

In fairness people here were having a hop off Marian in the months and years before her death.

2 Likes

Brendan O’Connor

I’m sure she did plenty of good - no one is defined by any one aspect of their life — she was very much the conservative and defender of the establishment - just because she’s dead (RIP) that doesnt change. I’m sure she was a loving person with lots of other great qualities but I only knew her as a lick spittle.