Marian Finucane's South Dublin Coffee Morning - Official Thread

You’d better ask Damien O’Reilly. Personally, it won’t lessen my enjoyment of the day or the build up.

Shit argument. The ratings before her were mediocre and they exploded under here. The reality is that she did drive a sizeable increase in ratings for her time slot and those around her when she moved. You can’t speculate on an hypothetical future. I don’t necessarily disagree on her salary level being too high back then, and would certainly agree that RTÉ presenters and management have lived a charmed life, but stick to reasonable arguments on it.

Her response was more than she worked a lot more than 4 hours a week.

1 Like

Let’s just wait and see if the numbers listening to radio at the weekend collapse as you have implied they will.

The second captains might get the gig now

2 Likes

They would be well capable of holding a mirror up to Irish society in tandem with their regular contributors such as Richie Sadlier.

3 Likes

Before Marian that 11 o clock slot on a Sunday morning was occupied by a random religious service. If they’d put me in that slot playing records out of my collection it would have upped the ratings.

15 Likes

More lies,
When do you suppose that religious services ended on radio 1?

August 28 2005.

1 Like

The death of la finucane brings to mind Bette David’s reaction to learning of the death of Joan crawford

@Tim_Riggins with another misleading stat. He’s quite the spin meister.

That’s not my recollection at all

It has always been a current affairs discussion type slot

Andy O’Mahony’s The Sunday Show was a staple back in the 1990s
Ryan Tubridy had the slot for a current affairs show in the early 2000s
I think Tom McGurk had the slot prior to #marian

No it was always a religious service at 11.

If it pleases you to make stuff up to slight this lady who died yesterday in order to win a few likes then knock yourself out
There was always a current affairs show in the 11 o clock slot

1 Like

Please provide RTE Radio 1 listings for at least one Sunday during the September-May period from 1990 to 2005 inclusive

@Fagan_ODowd is coming out of this very badly

Thankfully this thread was always in good, lighthearted taste and never nasty

That has sadly changed in the last 24 hours

A real air of misogynism coming into it now and that’s disappointing

I think your memory is playing tricks on you.

I have a subscription to Irish newspaper archives,
You’re making stuff up, God knows why you would do that??

I’d listen to that.

1 Like

QED