Matters regarding Limerick, Limerick Pubs, No Culture allowed

You might cut the grass out that way now and again so …

Leave it another few weeks and we’ll get a few bales of silage out of it

I wish to report that I spent the night in the curragower with a large group, all of whom were watching and cheering wexford. Just the two tv’s in the place. Both showing the match and a good crowd watching it and supporting the yolaboys.

General satisfaction at the result

@TreatyStones @Julio_Geordio @Smark and other West Limerick posters.

Went for a short cycle this morning out towards the start of majestic West Limerick. Ended up down here, which I’ve been reliably informed is Ringmoylan Pier.

A couple of queries for those with local knowledge. I took the turn off for Bleach Lough. Is Bleach Lough private?

Is everyone down that way an Architect? Saw some swanky modern gaffs which seemed out of kilter with the usual rustic charm of glorious West Limerick,

Is it a spot where people go if they’re having affairs? Saw two cars pull in after each other and the woman gets out and hops into the man’s car after a peck on the cheek and their behaviour seemed suspicious?

A couple of queries for those with local knowledge. I took the turn off for Bleach Lough. Is Bleach Lough private?

I think a private/members only fishing club operate on the lake.

Is everyone down that way an Architect? Saw some swanky modern gaffs which seemed out of kilter with the usual rustic charm of glorious West Limerick,

Some big/nice houses down that way alright, a mix of new and old estate houses. @massey lives in a big fuck off house down there.

Is it a spot where people go if they’re having affairs? Saw two cars pull in after each other and the woman gets out and hops into the man’s car after a peck on the cheek and their behaviour seemed suspicious?

Yes.

Also if you looked to your left you’d have seen the remnants of the old swimming pool. It used to be filled by the tide. I remember going there as a young lad with my cousins and it was horrible.

The next day if you are looking to go a bit further you could on out to Beagh Castle, which is on another pier about 7 or 8 miles further on the estuary.

2 Likes

If you didn’t like your cousins, why didn’t you just ditch them?

@mickee321 did you ever go to the swimming pool in Foynes?

Did you see the hayshed that’s now a house?There’s also a new house on a bad corner that looks like a fuckin filling station,its fuckin rank.

1 Like

There was awful trouble a few years back between locals and the anglers association in Bleach Lough, the lake itself isn’t private, a lot of people would go in and walk their dogs, etc, around. But that anglers club crowd protect their right to fish on it very furiously.

Lots of people with notions down Ringmoylan way, some very fancy houses. Dunno about affairs, used to be plenty of boys getting high down there. To be fair, they usually kept to themselves and didn’t cause any hassle.

Lovely spot on a sunny evening.

2 Likes

Is it under new management in recent years? There was a time when they wouldn’t show a hurling match in there. And they’ve a fine place out the back now. I had an early dinner there a few months back and it was tasty.

Same management. The food is good and the service has improved along with a couple of tvs to see a game. We arrived in at half-time in the hurling and asked if they would show it, we were pleasantly surprised to be told it was already on the channel and would be back after the adbreak.

How was the grub? I must get out to that deck and sink ten pints one of these evenings

1 Like

yes
this was back in the day now when it was an open air one and they used to just allow water in from the estuary to fill it up
my dad has a great story of when they were younger there was a competition called the greasy pole or “grahcey pole” said in a west limerick accent
it was basically an ould telegraph pole strung accross the pool covered in seaweed or industrial slime or whatnot, if anyone could make it accross they won a bag of slag to take home for the stove

3 Likes

Went swimming there a few times a long time ago. Can you imagine the pollution in it :sweat_smile: Right beside the dock and aughunish fucking caustic soda into it

yeah aughunish alumina pumping all sorts in to the river
the smog in Foynes used to be unreal back in the 80s / 90s
did you ever go in to that ould hag Gertie and her shop on the main street? she used to frighten the life out of us

The grub is good and the outside seating area overlooking the Shannon and king johns castle is very nice to be fair. They seem to have toned down on the rubby pompousness they once had and its more open to non rubby folk. I suppose House has become the new go to place for cunts in the city. As well as Nancy Blake’s of course.

2 Likes

By god that was one awful spot.
Freezing cold water and all the seaweed and crabs would come in with the tide as well.

It’s a bit up itself for what it is, but that deck overlooking the shannon on a summers evening is hard bet. They do a nice pint of Guinness too.

:joy::clap:

There was about 300k of state money pumped into bleach laugh in recent years. Serious job. Colin tizzard fishes down there regularly enough.

1 Like