Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

Yup — make it a social/entertainment centre first … They should have covered over Cruises st with a canopy years ago also …

Would be nice if they could trial putting some kind of transparent roof with pedestrian street with outdoor dining/drinking spaces under it.

1 Like

They could do the opposite of what they do in some cities in Spain with the canopies. As mentioned, put up canopies to keep the rain out, and have some kind of outdoor spacing / heaters, and give people a reason to go back to the city centre. Forget about shops.

1 Like

You need people living in the actual city centre.
That will encourage all the small shops etc, to open. The majority of the housing stock in the city centre is in a shocking state.

But on the flip side if people try to do anything to improve that you’ll have the same people who complain about the death of the city lodging objections against new developments :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The old city had working quays on the port from the clarion hotel area down as far as the sarsfield house area. Housing and retail looked the other way. There was nothing on the north bank.

The value is in having apartments facing the river, and not retail

2 Likes

There was a lad on here once who was all for Limerick City. But then when something positive came along, he favoured mass deaths rather than see it succeed. You cant win with some men.

100% true. And bring office developments into 15 min walking distance.

Well, Mick? Any news?

The markets on a Saturday morning are fantastic inside in town. Top notch offering, great buzz. Dunno how they replicate it daily but something like that could be a good focal point.

Bricks and mortar retail is on in the death throes so needs to be more than just shops for the sake of shops inside in town. There’s already too many cafes too.

A dog park in the middle of town might be a start. A shitload of dog owners could be drawn in and might drop a few quid when in there. Pond for ducks/wildlife to get families bringing kids in and around.

Consumerism has to be secondary focus as will come naturally when more bodies in and around the place anyway. Shops alone ain’t getting people back in when they can do it from home or shopping centre Emphasis on activities and attractions only hope I think and fact families have been spending more.time together of late, it’s perfect time to build on that.

1 Like

Lads would be kept going cleaning off birdshit from them

1 Like

Shops need a change too. A plan around retail and type of retail needs to be brought forward. William Street is ruined by those tacky phone shops, pound shops and a load of charity shops. Guidance on shop facades and spread of retail types needed. Reduction in rates compared to out of town shopping may bring in higher end shops.

cc @Thomas_Brady

1 Like

Yes?

1 Like

I guess I’m part of the parking problem in Limerick, it has always struck me as a piss-easy city to drive into and plonk a car close to the middle of town and stroll around to the shops. I’d usually park around Mallow St or Pery’s Square direction and tip away down. I think pedestrianising Catherine St up as far as Jerry Flannery’s would be a good move alright, you can see how it has worked well for William St and Bedford Row. Pedestrianising the length of O’Connell St I’m not so sure about, be nice if they could make The Crescent around the O’Connell statue a bit more pedestrian-oriented alright.

We could have some kind of Daytona 500 drag race up O’Connell st with sulkies. A month long event. Like the running of the bulls. The running of the pie balls.

if they tied you on to the sulky and dragged you roaring behind it, I’d go alright

3 Likes

Anyone get the video of the lad running away after being caught trying to break into a car :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s an old one.Was he on crutches?

Well he had crutches anyway.

Video was going around yesterday and today. Assumed it was recent

I got that 3 weeks ago.I thought I sent it to you.