Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

You’re bang on.

Where are the begrudgers now?

@Thomas_Brady ‘s Limerick credentials under question here.

When did the state give up on providing any services.

There were a pools in Roxboro and St. Endas as well weren’t there? Now it’s just UL that you could call a public pool, and it’s not Limerick council providing it

I’m 100% on the ball here kid. I want a full apology from @Bod95 and @habanerocat

They must be blow ins.

One is from Kilkenny and the other living in the Midlands 20 year and they talking down to me…

2 Likes

One of my pals informs me it was in fact 1992 when it closed I hope @chocolatemice will allow me to correct the record and accept my fulsome and wholehearted apology.

PS I was too busy hoovering up county medals to be frequenting the place.

1 Like

You’re really screwed if Duncan is your cheerleader. Was it about Limerick? If he is reporting on the scandal the ‘Opera’ centre is voing to be then I’m all in.
He had one a few weeks ago anout Tipp town. It was fair to mediocre.

Definitely wasn’t around early 90s anyway. There was pool in Intercontinental/Jurys and next was Shannon Shamrock. Don’t think leisure centre in Green Hills even added yet. We’d be fucked off to jury’s pool as my nanas was one side of the back wall and my aunt’s otherside in farranshone.

Pool + Savoy cinema were better than an aspirin in getting rid of us 2 legged headaches.If there was another pool further than jury’s but still walking distance, you can be certain that’s where we’d have been sent off to.

Weirdly don’t ever recall anyone ever mentioning it at all even. You’d think people would have stories about spotting birds in their togs or log either spotted or spouted in shallow end. Never a mention of it at all that I can recall.

We lived in Caherdavin for a year in the mid 80s. I think we may have been brought to that pool during that time. For some reason, I pictured it as being across the road from Supermacs when in fact it was back up the road on the same side :man_shrugging:

Straight across from ardhu, built an estate in its place.

1 Like

Ryan’s Hotel

No way Bod. Those apartments were there across the road from the Ardhu in the 80s. The brother in law has text me 1976 which makes more sense to me.

My sources tell me that the aptly named Waterville estate directly across the road from the Ardhu is where it was. A quick google tells me those houses were built in 1996, although that isn’t conclusive one way or another.

It’s hard to get the exact timeline but the in-laws say that a pool opened in the Two Mile Inn after the Ennis Road one closed. He did life guard in both. The pool in the Two Mile ended up under the dance floor of the night club. And that was the 80s. So definitely gone since the 70s.

Were you around for Poldarks @Thomas_Brady or were you too young to get in?

2 Likes

Somebody get Willy O’Dea on the phone, stat. He’ll sort this trivial pursuit in an instant.

I was a bit young for it.

The Ennis road open air swimming pools closed in 92. You were just the 20 or so years off.

I worked in the 2 Mile Inn for a few summers in the early 90s Poldarks had largely wound down at that stage was mainly C&W nights and college discos.

Well I’ve been given three dates from 75 -78 by people from Greystones. Perhaps you just broke in before it was demolished. If you could scale that wall into the orchard at the back of the Ardhú you’d get over anything.