Matters Regarding Limerick šŸ™ļø

Free in for women on a Monday night wasnā€™t it?

Must have been Wednesday was the Art College night so, a night for Costelloes.

A few lads woke to see an unkempt bush after that night Iā€™d say.

1 Like

1 Like

Theyā€™re serious about this one lads. Thereā€™s a website and everything.

Have Your Say

Iused to always do my work in the pub. I never went for the conversation or chat. I went into the snug with my briefcase and got on with my correspondence. The old people used to joke: ā€œYouā€™re off to your office again.ā€

It was nice to be able to have a pint and to get on with a bit of work. I used to have three pints of Guinness every day. How do you manage when the pandemic comes? Well you have a few tins of Guinness at home instead. I had an operation for cancer last year, so I have one tin of Guinness and a bottle of Erdinger a day now. When I came here first to Crusheen in Co Clare, there were four pubs. Now there is one. Thatā€™s typical of country places. The countryside is dying.

A lot of my books were written in the pub. I do them by longhand. The one Iā€™m doing now ā€” God only knows Iā€™ve been at for the past five years ā€” will be huge. The manuscript is about six inches high already. I wasnā€™t a bit bored during Covid. Iā€™m snowed under with work all the time
The book I have to do, Military Memories , Iā€™d be doing that inside in bed at night. I let the people speak for themselves in it. Itā€™s their voices in quotations. I have my own room in the house. My ā€œofficeā€ I call it. Itā€™s an untidy bloody room piled with notes.

Itā€™s a difficult thing to make a living as a writer in this country, even though Iā€™ve sold well over quarter of a million books by now, but the [podcast] recordings and the storytelling make a difference. Iā€™ve been storytelling for well over 30 years. I donā€™t remember what my first storytelling session was. There have been so many here and all over the world. The last one before the closedown was in Japan, and Russia before that.
All the stories I tell are the ones I have heard down the years from old people, the old folklore. The stories I tell, the ones you see in my book Meeting the Other Crowd: the Fairy Stories of Hidden Ireland , are not nicey-nicey ones for children. That book is definitely for adults. Folklore is people and people are quare animals.

These old stories teach us respect, respect for the landscape. You donā€™t interfere with fairy property, fairy forts, bushes, paths. And if they teach us respect for the landscape, they are teaching us respect for ourselves ā€” and that message was never clearer than now.
Small things mean a lot in a space of 60 or 70 years. For example, I have an almighty amount of photographs. I donā€™t know where the family got the camera, but my motherā€™s two brothers were in the British navy during the war and afterwards, and I have a great number of photos of them and I have a lot of photos of her as a young girl. That tells you a lot about the family, more than words even. My uncles brought back a lot of knick-knacks from foreign parts. An exquisite Buddha hand-carved in ivory from the Far East in the 1930s. There are brass candlesticks from India. I have my motherā€™s and grandmotherā€™s stamp collections too, on envelopes, some from the 1840s.

My mother was from Tarbert, a seaport town in Co Kerry, where the English fleet used to come in before independence. It was a very prosperous place because of that, you see. My mother had books from before the Famine. One book is from 17-something. Thereā€™s a stamp on it: ā€œTarbert public libraryā€ and the date. The name John Fitzgerald Windle is on all the books in lovely old copperplate writing.
The books are right here in the room with me. I often wonder what happened: how my mother got these, I do not know, but she was a big reader, as were her two sisters. They lived until they were in their nineties, whereas my mother died of cancer when she was just 49. Iā€™m from Brosna in Co Kerry and then I went to college in Cork. While I was there my mother died, in 1969. Later on I went to college in Galway where I did an MA in phonetics. I was a teacher for twentysomething years in Limerick, teaching English at an Irish-language school.

A tour guide once said to me, ā€œIā€™ve heard you tell that story 59 times and itā€™s never the same twice. How do you do that?ā€ And I said, ā€œI donā€™t know. I just tell the story.ā€ But heā€™s right, you canā€™t tell the same story twice, because if you do, youā€™re just acting. There is no script for storytelling. You know the story in your head. Many times Iā€™m travelling all day to get to a venue but itā€™s worth doing for the sake of the people I collected the stories from because, as long as Iā€™m able to tell the stories, theyā€™re not dead.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll go back to the pub. Now that I have my ā€œofficeā€, thereā€™s great comfort in being at home, rather than walking out on a stormy night in the winter.

Guests at the Cahernane House Hotel can enjoy an evening of storytelling with Eddie Lenihan as part of its two-night Halloween package from ā‚¬349pps, available from October 23-25; cahernane.com

2 Likes

How many quarters now? Rugby, Opera, Colbertā€¦

Georgian, Market, Medieval, Fashionā€¦ thereā€™s a lot more than four anyways.

Why is this in the Limerick thread?

Laurel Hill and @TreatyStones

2 Likes
1 Like

Judge Larkin also told the man that by the next court date on November 18, he must get a job.

:grin:

Seems legal

1 Like

The right job for them

Would love to know have the motherā€™s have jobs if children are of school going age?

1 Like

11 Likes

@Massey

1 Like

Focus Ireland confirmed it is considering buying the homes ā€œsubject to approval by our fundersā€.
What the fuck is going on there at all ?

1 Like

Focus Ireland receives approximately half of its budget each year through state funding and raises the other 50% through donations from the public, events and corporate support.

I suppose oversight and accountability isnā€™t a bad thing given whatā€™s been going on in that sector

2 Likes

Skangers

1 Like
2 Likes