Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

Pretty sure it was built during King John’s reign by order of King John.

I am reliably informed that following its construction the people of Limerick referred to it as “the new castle”.

The wagons have :o:

4 Likes

Oh yes he did

There was a fortification on the site prior to the Normans building it. So it’s conceivable it was known as the new old castle.

Just like the TUS GG is refered to as “the new field” by the older generation

Exactly like that.

My notes show that it might actually be Shannon Heritage who called it King John’s castle in the late 80s or 90s. In 1580s a historian named Stanihurst said King John loved Limerick and ordered a castle be built but records show it was ordered before his time so Stanihurst was talking tripe but his account seems to be where the modern name comes from. It was referred to as Limerick castle in sources. What the wildling Irish called it from a distance is unclear.

1 Like

The castle in Kilmallock is called King John’s castle.

1 Like

How it looked inside King John’s Castle in the 80s, corporation houses in there until mid 80s

King-Johns-Castle-in-1986-a-few-years-before-corporation-housing-was-removed-to-enable

8 Likes

It was probably known as “ the castle “ I’d imagine

1 Like

Some of my mother-in-law’s people lived in there. Her father I’m almost sure, and think she might have been born there before they moved to the “parish” (i.e the island)

The tans filled it / raised the ground during the 19th century… The interior should be 20/30 feet lower. There’s a church below those near houses at the bottom of the pic.

1 Like

Is that a promise I wonder, hopefully it never reopens

Class. Imagine being on the housing list and then getting put living in a castle. Unreal.

1 Like

The first time I passed it in the 80s I couldn’t believe it.
The castle with no castle.

1 Like

They should have built a fake monument like Newgrange

1 Like

Hardly get staff and stock for one night.

They’re using the stock that was sat there for the last 2 years, students won’t know the difference :shushing_face: