Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

When the fire is going its a lovely place for a quiet pint, chat and a read of the paper.

Myles Breen

Mickys is a busted flush. Tom Collins is fine when it is empty. The Glen Tavern is another spot with a nice stew for lunch as well.

1 Like

The glem is a great shout for an afternoon

Which Flannerys?

I’m only joking bro… If you want what i said you’ll go to Fennessys but it’s a little out of the way

3 Likes

What was the name of the last pub on the left as you drive out Mulgrave Street? Closed now.

Munster Fair Tavern would be next on the right.

Brannigan’s

The wife says NO.

She’s after thinking of it.
The Pike.

Fairly sure it was called Brannigan’s after The Pike. I was never in it.

1 Like

Is that the place Roy Collins’ family owned?

It was Brannigans definitely. Did one of the Dundons shoot a barman from there?

1 Like

Yes, and the Steering Wheel.

That’s right. It was burnt down subsequently.

1 Like

What significance has ‘pike’ in Limerick?
As in Pike Rovers.

Was watching Angela’s Ashes, crikey Limerick city was some shithole back in the ‘30s. Did many from the other great hurling team come from those surroundings?

Kyle hayes great gran uncle won all Irelands with Limerick in the 30s. He was from in and around town.

Mickey crosse was his name. I couldn’t be sure on the year but he was involved with working horses and the night before a Munster final they died in a fire.

The following day he had a bad game when his head wasn’t in the game and Limerick lost.

I’m not sure of the precise details but I can find out.

Ahane were the dominant club at that time but they poached a couple of players. I think somebody from ahane could get fellas jobs on the river. Paddy McMahon from Pallaskenry was one guy who ended up playing for them after getting a job on the river.

4 Likes

Talking to your ould fella?

When he takes a break from speaking so highly about your lot :rofl:

1 Like