Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

I presume SF will run a second candidate so it will be interesting to see who gets the nod there. I don’t think Brian Leddin will be representing Limerick nationally for too much longer, either he gets the mayoral gig(unlikely I think) or he gets voted out (much more likely)

Do they still have the lad who doesn’t believe in the moon landing?

1 Like

Who votes for mayor? Is it literally only those inside the city boundary or is it the whole county

Sure the whole council is the one now. It’s Mayor of Limerick Council as far as I understand it?? So the roasters can run for it and vote?

This seems to have been lost on everyone. I think it’ll make it gas craic!

Which prime roaster do we want to see debating with the progressive townies

Emmett O’Brien would surely like the ego massage

2 Likes

He would but not a roaster. Just an ape.

It’s roasters we are looking for here, for balance like.

2 Likes

jesus

what kind of dinosaur workplace do you work in

Liam Galvin

Fianna Fáil’s Limerick mayor candidate is a former Fine Gael member who said Micheál Martin was ‘not a leader’

Dee Ryan, the former chief executive of Limerick Chamber, was confirmed as Fianna Fáil’s candidate for the country’s first ever directly-elected mayor contest in Limerick last Monday where she was pictured alongside Mr Martin

Dee Ryan when she was chief executive of Limerick Chamber of Commerce. Photo: Oisin McHugh/True Media

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin and Limerick mayoral candidate Dee Ryan

Tánaiste and Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin in Limerick as he announced Dee Ryan as party candidate for directly elected Mayor of Limerick. Photo: Arthur Ellis.

Dee Ryan when she was chief executive of Limerick Chamber of Commerce. Photo: Oisin McHugh/True Media

Hugh O’Connell

Today at 18:46

Fianna Fáil’s candidate for Limerick mayor is a former Fine Gael member who previously described Tánaiste Micheál Martin as “not a leader” and posted a slew of comments criticising her new party on social media.

Dee Ryan, the former chief executive of Limerick Chamber, was confirmed as Fianna Fáil’s candidate for the country’s first ever directly-elected mayor contest in Limerick last Monday where she was pictured alongside Mr Martin.

Ms Ryan, who resigned from the chamber of commerce to contest the mayoral election this June, was, however, a strong supporter of Fine Gael in the run-up to and after the 2016 general election, according to her social media activity. It is understood she is a former member of Fine Gael and was also previously a member of Labour.

She frequently posted comments on Twitter, now X, criticising Mr Martin, his party and senior Fianna Fáil figures in 2016 and 2017 whilst at the same time expressing support for Leo Varadkar.

In a statement on Wednesday, Ms Ryan said she has been a member of other political parties, without specifying which ones. She said that she was “unafraid to speak my mind”, but added that her views had evolved and that her opinion of Mr Martin and Fianna Fáil “could not be more positive”.

Tánaiste and Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin in Limerick as he announced Dee Ryan as party candidate for directly elected Mayor of Limerick. Photo: Arthur Ellis.

Screenshots of posts on Twitter, now X, seen by the Irish Independent show that in 2015 Ms Ryan posted a blurry picture of her and Mr Varadkar, the then health minister, at Electric Picnic with the caption: “Look who I bumped into at the bar last night” and the hashtag #verytallinreallife.

Learn more

Ms Ryan also tweeted from the Fine Gael ard fheis in January 2016, including a post quoting Simon Harris saying that Fianna Fáil “royally failed the Irish people”.

During the same event she reposted a quote from Paschal Donohoe’s speech in which the then transport minister said: “Fianna Fáil would wreck the very recovery that they said would never happen.”

Ms Ryan also reposted a number of tweets criticising Micheál Martin and Fianna Fáil, during the 2016 general election leaders’ debate on RTÉ Prime Time, including one from Young Fine Gael which said Mr Martin “sat around the cabinet table when the Irish economy was destroyed”.

Other comments Ms Ryan reposted included one which labelled Mr Martin “deluded” for saying he left the health service in a good state and a post from Fine Gael saying the Fianna Fáil leader “created the HSE, failed to tackle overcrowding and then handed over the Department to Mary Harney”.

She later posted that the then taoiseach and Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny was “#amazeballs” in the same TV debate and in another post said: “EK had facts & figures at fingertips & was #rockofsense M.Martin sooo #notaleader”.

In another post from the election campaign, Ms Ryan said she found it “deeply worrying” that Mr Martin “thinks he shud (sic) tell girls & women how to handle personal & difficult decisions”.

In another post in March 2016 referring to Darragh O’Brien, the current Housing Minister, she posted: “Cringing at the schoolyard conduct of @SenDOBrien on @SaturdayRTE Is this what we’re in for now that @fiannafailparty are feeling confident?”

In another post that same month, Ms Ryan referred to Fianna Fáil as the “Jedi-mind-trickers of the political world #thesearenotthechargesyouhate

In May 2017 she tweeted a picture of herself and Mr Varadkar during his Fine Gael leadership campaign wishing him “best of luck” in the final leadership hustings.

In another post from May 2017, she said of the party’s current Midlands North West European election candidate: “More Barry Cowen criticising Govt work cleaning up #FiannaFail mess. It’s easier to criticise than find solutions, opp suits FF,” she wrote on X in May 2017.

In a statement, Ms Ryan said: “My opinion of Fianna Fáil and Tánaiste Micheál Martin, particularly through his leadership, today could not be more positive.

“I’ve been very impressed by his and the party’s strong leadership since re-entering government four years ago, not least in guiding the country through the challenging pandemic.

“When it came to my candidacy for Mayor I felt Fianna Fáil with party values of fairness and equity, was the best fit for me. As Taoiseach and now Tánaiste, Micheál Martin has presided over a government that not alone maintained economic stability but returned the country to remarkable growth, albeit with much still to do and, moreover, with an appetite to do it.

“I am passionate about politics and have been for many years and I’ve been a member of other political parties, but my opinions have been my own and I’ve no difficulty in saying that they have evolved.

“I remain unafraid to speak my mind and if the people of Limerick choose to do me the honour of electing me as their Mayor, I can assure them that I will be a strong voice in pursuit of our shared agenda to make Limerick a better place for all its citizens.”

Join the Irish Independent WhatsApp channel
Stay up to date with all the latest news

Related topics

Promoted Links by

Why Didn’t Anybody Tell You Your Android Can Block Ads?
Why Didn’t Anybody Tell You Your Android Can Block Ads?Secure Online Tips

Up to 50% off with code 24HAPPY10
Up to 50% off with code 24HAPPY10Barcelo

Single over 50 in Dublin ? See who's on Ourtime!
Single over 50 in Dublin ? See who’s on Ourtime!Ourtime

Invincible US Military Smartwatch Finally on Sale In Ireland. How Tough?
Invincible US Military Smartwatch Finally on Sale In Ireland. How Tough?Best Gadget Discounts

Solar Roof Tiles Are the Future and Surprisingly Affordable.
Solar Roof Tiles Are the Future and Surprisingly Affordable.Solar Roof Tiles | Search Ads

Homeless man came to a wedding, and when he took the microphone, they heard something incredible
Homeless man came to a wedding, and when he took the microphone, they heard something incredibleloansocieties.com

More Politics

• [
    Politics
Fianna Fáil’s Limerick mayor candidate is a former Fine Gael member who said Micheál Martin was ‘not a leader’

](Fianna Fáil’s Limerick mayor candidate is a former Fine Gael member who said Micheál Martin was ‘not a leader’ | Irish Independent)

• [
    Irish News
Leo Varadkar addresses the Ireland Funds Young Leaders event in Boston

](Leo Varadkar addresses the Ireland Funds Young Leaders event in Boston | Irish Independent)

• [
    Irish News
Leo Varadkar to use St Patrick’s Day platform to lobby US on Gaza ceasefire support

](Leo Varadkar to use St Patrick’s Day platform to lobby US on Gaza ceasefire support | Irish Independent)

• [
    PoliticsPlus Artikel
Casement Park: Bill branded ‘outrageous’ as £5.5m spent on consultancy fees without ‘a single brick laid’

](Casement Park: Bill branded ‘outrageous’ as £5.5m spent on consultancy fees without ‘a single brick laid’ | Irish Independent)

• [
    Politics
Coalition parties in crisis as TDs and senators admit they voted ‘No’ in referendums

](Coalition parties in crisis as TDs and senators admit they voted ‘No’ in referendums | Irish Independent)

• [
    Politics
Leo Varadkar says he is not going to ‘tell off’ Joe Biden over war in Gaza

](Leo Varadkar says he is not going to ‘tell off’ Joe Biden over war in Gaza | Irish Independent)

• [
    Politics
‘I’m not their mammy’ – Taoiseach says he’s not responsible for Fine Gael senators who went to Ireland rugby match instead of voting in referendums

](‘I’m not their mammy’ – Taoiseach says he’s not responsible for Fine Gael senators who went to Ireland rugby match instead of voting in referendums | Irish Independent)

• [
    Politics
Government paid $8k for Catherine Martin’s panel discussion as part of SXSW festival

](Government paid $8k for Catherine Martin’s panel discussion as part of SXSW festival | Irish Independent)

• [
    Irish News
Leo Varadkar makes speech calling for a ceasefire in Gaza during Boston visit

](Leo Varadkar makes speech calling for a ceasefire in Gaza during Boston visit | Irish Independent)

• [
    Politics
‘EU has lost touch with people on the ground’ – ICSA’s Eddie Punch to run for Europe

](‘EU has lost touch with people on the ground’ – ICSA’s Eddie Punch to run for Europe | Irish Independent)

Top Stories

• [

Politics

](Fianna Fáil’s Limerick mayor candidate is a former Fine Gael member who said Micheál Martin was ‘not a leader’ | Irish Independent)

• [
    Irish News
BREAKING | Teen (18) dies after motorcycle crash in Mayo

](Teen (18) dies after motorcycle crash in Mayo | Irish Independent)

• [
    World News
Five dead, 22 injured after Israeli air strike on Gaza UN food distribution centre

](Five dead, 22 injured after Israeli air strike on Gaza UN food distribution centre | Irish Independent)

• [
    Horse RacingPlus Artikel
Cheltenham Day Three: Wayne Bailey marks your card as Ginny’s Destiny looks set for more success

](Cheltenham Day Three: Wayne Bailey marks your card as Ginny’s Destiny looks set for more success | Irish Independent)

• [
    Health FeaturesPlus Artikel
What do you do if you can’t stand your child’s partner

](What do you do if you can’t stand your child’s partner | Irish Independent)

• [
    CrimePlus Artikel
Girlfriend of Kinahan cartel money launderer on the move as vodka company base shifted for third time

](Kinahan cartel Nero Vodka moll Nicola Morrissey on the move for third time in a year | Irish Independent)

• [
    BooksPlus Artikel
Marriage to Hugh Hefner and life in the Playboy Mansion: ‘I try to think of good memories but I don’t have any’

](Crystal Hefner on marriage to Hugh Hefner of Playboy: 'He seemed like a sad man | Irish Independent)

• [
    Wexford & District
Funeral of BBC journalist and children’s author Nick Sheridan (32) hears how he ‘epitomised everything that is good in life’

](Funeral of BBC journalist and children’s author Nick Sheridan (32) hears how he ‘epitomised everything that is good in life’ | Irish Independent)

• [
    Irish News
‘I’m absolutely stunned that we’ve come this far’ – Willie Mullins makes history with 100 Cheltenham wins

](‘I’m absolutely stunned that we’ve come this far’ – Willie Mullins makes history with 100 Cheltenham wins | Irish Independent)

• [
    Courts
Gardaí told of Bill Kenneally abuse two years before confession, inquiry told

](Gardaí told of Bill Kenneally abuse two years before confession, inquiry told | Irish Independent)

Latest News

• [
    Videos
Cheltenham Day Two wrap

Today at 21:08

](Cheltenham Day Two wrap | Irish Independent)

• [
    Celebrity News
Actress Tina Malone ‘totally devastated’ by husband’s death

Today at 21:05

](Actress Tina Malone ‘totally devastated’ by husband’s death | Irish Independent)

• [
    Celebrity News
Final year of Derek Draper’s life to be told by Kate Garraway in new documentary

Today at 21:00

](Final year of Derek Draper’s life to be told by Kate Garraway in new documentary | Irish Independent)

• [
    World News
Norah Jones delights passers-by at St Pancras with piano performance

Today at 20:55

](Norah Jones delights passers-by at St Pancras with piano performance | Irish Independent)

• [
    Celebrity News
Dua Lipa announces release date for new album Radical Optimism

Today at 20:40

](Dua Lipa announces release date for new album Radical Optimism | Irish Independent)

• [
    World News
Five dead, 22 injured after Israeli air strike on Gaza UN food distribution centre

Today at 20:34

](Five dead, 22 injured after Israeli air strike on Gaza UN food distribution centre | Irish Independent)

• [
    Rugby
Munster’s Antoine Frisch remains eligible for Ireland after release from France squad

Today at 19:41

](Munster’s Antoine Frisch remains eligible for Ireland after release from France squad | Irish Independent)

• [
    Irish News
BREAKING | Teen (18) dies after motorcycle crash in Mayo

Today at 19:27

](Teen (18) dies after motorcycle crash in Mayo | Irish Independent)

• [
    Celebrity News
Danny Dyer to explore modern masculinity in Channel 4 documentary series

Today at 19:25

](Danny Dyer to explore modern masculinity in Channel 4 documentary series | Irish Independent)

• [
    Horse RacingPlus Artikel
Cheltenham Day Three: Wayne Bailey marks your card as Ginny’s Destiny looks set for more success

Today at 19:11

](Cheltenham Day Three: Wayne Bailey marks your card as Ginny’s Destiny looks set for more success | Irish Independent)

Show more

:headphones: The Indo Daily

• [

The Indo Daily: Kate’s Photoshop blunder, a toe-sucking scandal and Harry’s Nazi costume – photos the royals wish we had never seen

](The Indo Daily: Kate’s Photoshop blunder, a toe-sucking scandal and Harry’s Nazi costume – photos the royals wish we had never seen | Irish Independent)

More Episodes

INDO

Follow us:

The internet never forgets

( I don’t follow Catholic Arena )

https://twitter.com/catholicarena/status/1768037149457203504?s=46&t=yRtB8lhW_RucCjdm3dqcBw

1 Like

posts brian GIF

1 Like

New rule, much like the lovely ladies thread, you’ll have to post best pics of these potential roaster candidates in action

Francis Foley

Kevin Sheehan

Adam Teskey

It’s an awful lot of hassle. Showering after arriving in to work too? More hassle. I’ll stick with my car to get to work thanks.

HSE mate. Hope this explains it.

Poor Elisa, her campaign is over before it even started. I knew that video would come back to haunt her one day.

Good enough for her.They were doing no harm tbf.Karen should have minded her own business.(I don’t follow Catholic Arena either)

1 Like

Announce JP.

Teskey would be the man there. Good South West Limerick stock

What was going on there?