Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

Or a Limerick Pizza as one of those places down near the market used call it. Ya know, pineapples, Limerick, that whole connection there.

A Limerick pizza is ham pineapple and sweetcorn. Don’t ask me why but it’s a thing

1 Like

Sweetcorn is a serious player in the pizza topping decisions in my books.

I think its origins go back to the ‘make your own pizzas’ in the styrofoam in Dunnes and Quinnsworth back in the early 90s. Youd buy the base already in an open styrofoam packaging. Slap on sauce + cheese then add your more luxurious toppings, close her up and take it home to cook along with the weekly shopping.

For whatever the thinking, sweetcorn was an option in that build-your-own stall. Id never seen corn on a pizza prior to that and plenty places ive travelled since were/are appalled when asking for it. But i remember building or requesting the ham, pineapple and sweetcorn combo every fri for my pizza.

Naples might claim the pizza but we can stake our piece of pie with sweetcorn as a topping in Dunnes Stores!

16 Likes

Don’t mind them Italians. They never even thought to use coleslaw with their lasagne

4 Likes

so is the shit the next day

Speaking of which, that Tuscany is far from Italian. Made for the Irish palette but an eyetalan would raise an eyebrow…

A glorious era. Get a pizza base and fuck as many toppin’s as you could name at it. I have always enjoyed this approach to pizza making - a genuine Italian thin crust pizza draped in basil and a meagre few slices of salami wouldn’t cut it with me.

1 Like

Prime Mutton is gas man. Every pint he reviews is class

I enjoyed that but skipped the two craft beer spots. I assume everyone else did likewise

1 Like

He was grand up to the point he said the pint in JJ Bowles was good.

It’s the worst pint in Limerick.

The pint in JJ Bowles is good in fairness.

It’s overrated but that’s a leap

1 Like

For the Cork one he flew in early that morning, had a heap of pints and flew home that evening.

Commitment to the cause

They wouldnt let dogs in when out for a walk a couple of weeks back so went over the bridge to Katy Dalys. Must say, it was smashing pint up there and not a bad spot to sit and watch for a bit. Between the Yanks and crack heads, plenty to occupy the eye.

2 Likes

An interesting mix around there alright. I was having a pint outside the Treaty brewery a few weeks ago and two teenagers wanted to borrow a spoon from the barman. There was another fella so spaced out of it he could only grunt looking for a bit of change. I’m sure the yanks find it charming.

Is this very common? Any data on it at all?

There was a top, top pint to be got in there about 10 years ago before yer man sold it but the place was a ghost town. Pint has regressed a little but the pub is thriving now. Nicholas St is a place transformed these days in fairness.

1 Like

Those seem like quite small proportions. Is there any reason why those 200 applicants from Albania and Georgia might have been granted asylum, do you think?