Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

They play at the side of the pub?

Junior soccer lost its lustre when lads couldn’t have 2 or 3 pints in the away team pub after a match then drive home.

2 Likes

Thats them.
Young lad killed there about 10 years ago when the goals fell on him

We played u12s in a North Tipp League and some of the journeys would take 45/50 minutes each way.

We had no team for a few years (plenty of lads to kick ball but nobody to train us) and went into Limerick schoolboys at u15s I think. It was much easier get in and out to games.

Club has played in Limerick for years now, but used to play in the Clare league as well I think back in the 70s/80s.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Sunday morning is the worst possible time to try and get a group of young lads together. If it was played Saturday afternoon participation would double

1 Like

That is the logic for most of those teams. Tarbert playing in Kerry could have two hour drive to a match

Some of Corbally is in Clare. Most of it isn’t.

I remember we played a soccer match in Roscrea at U12s. I usually played in the backs when I got a run, but I played centre midfield, which was an unusual position for me, but I think it was the last game of the season and I’d been turning up all year so the manager felt he probably just had to stick me on somewhere! I’m surprised he didn’t stick me up front out of harm’s way (this happened when I was 14 v Distillery. We only had 12 players and one was a new lad, so he wasn’t starting. I was a chubby, small fella then and he stuck me and the other useless lad down as the two wingers. A friend of mine did his knee ten minutes in and I thought he might bring me back into the backs but he stuck the new lad - the first fella we saw wearing boots that weren’t black - in at CB)

Anyway, back to Roscrea. It was a glorious, warm afternoon. After the match, a heap of us hopped on the bus and went to Templetouhy to play a GAA game. We were putting out an A and B team for a challenge match there. We were supposed to be the A team , but we were running late and management were pissed off we picked one over the other, so they just started without us, and made 10 subs (some of the lads had already played the previous match) when we arrived about 15 minutes into first half. I’d say we left home around 11am and weren’t home til all hours that night. Great times!

I think Tarbert have savage long trips for league games in GAA when they go to South Kerry or Kenmare .

Glin or Athea to Galbally or Galtee Gaels a fair aul spin too

Yeah there was defo games still on there 94/95-ish. Not as quite an intimidating spot to play a game as a 12 year old, in comparison to going to play Star Rovers or the likes.

The new facilities are in Clare arent they?

Geraldines in garryowen green was always a daunting away trip.

Yes they are. But the majority of Corballys population is in Limerick

Didn’t Glenagross (??) have a team back in the day? Moyross area. Was definitely daunting also as a young kid.

Ya. Glenagross pitch was up at the arse end of it. It wasnt surrounded by houses like in garryowen though. D’island was a rough away day too

1 Like

Shannon fields … all over grown now but they’ve done a great job along the bank itself right out to UL.

The Island was a god awful place for a match … a great club in the 70s/80s tho.

He saw a cow out there once.

1 Like

You need an editor.

1 Like

He needs a cool story bro’

1 Like