Mice

I find a bit of drainage piping is great for putting the poison down in. Pepper the boundary with them. The cunts swamp it down. Can’t keep them filled.

The dog stays away from it in fairness to her. She caught one herself Saturday and was delighted. The other 2 I got in traps. Mice only thank God

Mice in the car. Caught 2 of them last night. Fat little bastards.

Nest seemed to be where spare wheel would be.

1 Like

Plagued with the bastards this winter. Other winters have gone by and you might have one.

I’ve got a bit of a head scratcher in the house at the moment. To give some background to why my suspicions arose, we bought a house in 2020 which was vacant for a few months, and on viewing it I went into the loft and noticed a few mouse traps were set. Then when we moved in I went up to the loft with some boxes and the mouse traps were gone. I figured he caught the culprit in the meantime. But about two weeks later i’d to go up again with something and there was a mouse dead in the middle of the loft of unknown causes, no traps around. I’d say there must have been a bit of poison put out as well somewhere. So i saw various droppings in places that likely hadn’t been cleaned in years and I did a proper clean up there and removed all mouse evidence, and set three fresh traps in case there was any more.

For the next 18 months or so there was never any new mouse droppings and the traps never went off, I just left them up there. I went up two weeks ago to check something and saw two small droppings by the opening to the loft that I hadn’t noticed before. I went around with a flash-lamp and found a handful more. I’m 99% sure these were new and weren’t there after my big clean up. I cleaned out the three traps and rebait/reset them with 2x bit of mars bar and 1x peanut butter. I was checking them a bit in the 10 days since and moving them around but nothing. Then I thought I saw a new dropping again so I did a full spring clean again two days ago, sweeping up every dropping I saw, and set two new traps with peanut butter (one in loft again and one in utility room downstairs beside kitchen). I went up this morning and lo and behold another dropping that I’m 99% sure wasn’t there when I left two days ago.

What I can’t understand is in all this time over the last two weeks since I’ve actively been trying to catch or uncover him he has not touched any of five traps (not even nibbled them or set them off and escaped) and in that time we have never seen nor heard a trace of him. Normally you’d hear them scratching or they’d let their guard down and be seen downstairs at some point. We’ve been making sure to have the kitchen cleaned each night with no food left out so I don’t know what he’s eating. I even left one flake of grated cheese sitting at the base of a cabinet the last few nights and that’s not been touched. How is this bastard so elusive and what’s he up to? My auld fella speculated that they could be old droppings that fell from a rafter if disturbed by a spider or fly but to me that seems extremely outlandish to be the reason. Now in saying that there are always a few live flies up there and the odd bee/wasp that get in through a small air vent in the roof.

Anyone any suggestions that had similar suspicions about an elusive mouse? I might get a glue trap next I suppose?

It’s his house now.
You’d be as well to move on.

8 Likes

Leave four loose bits of cheese or whatever in the loft.
See if they are taken.

Borrow a cat.

It’s too early yet for the petrol solution. You’re a doggy man, a terrier is an option.

Could it be a bat? Have you looked up as well as down?

I wonder could it be bats?

1 Like

Snap…

Friend of mine did that thing where you half fill a bucket of water, drill a hole either side near the top, slide in a sort of tubing and cover the tubing with peanut butter. The mouse runs along the tubing and falls into the water. Game over. He wiped out generations of mice in no more than a week. It’s a bit lousy drowning them though

Pal of mine did the same but filled bucket with petrol.

It’s the inspiration for the new John Lewis home insurance ad.

3 Likes

I was thinking to do that too. But he’s not touching the peanut butter in the traps so will he really go clamouring up over a bucket for some? I might do it of desperate. Has anyone used the glue traps?

Will leave out a few sprinkles of cheese up there next to see if they disappear.

@Fagan_ODowd are you on a wind up, a bat?

1 Like

Catch hold of the neighbourhood cat, throw her into the loft for a bit …that’ll be the end of it

You are bat shit crazy if you think he is.

1 Like

Would her scent be enough to drive them out? There’s a grand cat next door

You could ask the previous owners