Mike Tyson

A net negative you’d have to say.

Mike Tyson is the most overrated athlete of all time and that’s a hill I will die on

You’re too young, you’d have to have been there. Watching the fights back years later is missing the point of Tyson

1 Like

He was an animal, and that was valued in the ring. He had a punch like murder, and he scared the bollocks out of lads who dont scare easily. The belief was Cus coulda kept him on the straight and narrow, we’ll never know, but I doubt it myself.

1 Like

He scared fuck all. Fellas act like he was the GOAT. Every single time he faced adversity he crumpled

Only one person could beat him and that was himself. Ali fought some fearsome fuckers too. Foreman was ferocious and he said he was scared of Joe Frasier.

1 Like

Biggest problem Tyson had was he had absolutely nothing between his ears (pardon the pun)

And all the fellas that did beat him…

You’re wrong, sorry.

Tyson’s reputation (and the reason people my age talk about him as we do) was built in his early professional years, the fight against Bruno was a turning point, he didn’t look himself and in truth he never got that back, so you’re half right I suppose. But peak Tyson was unbelievable.
Robin Givens may have been a part of it

I’m not wrong, nor am I sorry. Tyson was sensational, I’d imagine he was an insane draw. But, as a boxer, he’s massively overrated. Capitalised on a weak division in transition post Larry Holmes to win a few belts. When the going got tough, he’d no answer whatsoever

I remember reading on teletext Kevin Mcbride beat Mike Tyson.

Simpler times.

I’ll never forget the night he put Trevor Berbwick into the middle of next week

1 Like

Michael Spinks was the ultimate,

2 Likes

That’s a great one for the unpopular opinions thread.

Ali would have dismantled him anyway.

Ali might have. He might not. Peak Tyson was as destructive a boxer as ever there was.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Lennox Lewis handled him in sparring when they were teens I’m sure I read. A focussed and prepared Lewis was the best from what I saw.

Ah yeah early Tyson was force of nature. And probably never got enough credit for his boxing skills too. I just think that Ali was the greatest and would have picked him apart. Frazier against Tyson would have been something else. The nineties was a great era for heavyweight boxing.

Tyson’s peak was higher than Lewis imo, but it wasn’t for long. I’d not read too much into teenage sparring.

Tyson’s side read enough into it that they never wanted to do it again until they absolutely had to!